The Pros and Cons of Growing Up

Part Thirty-Seven

SEVERAL MONTHS LATER:
Aiden’s POV

“Do you two have to move out?” Dad whimpered. It was a little late for this, though, seeing as all of mine and Eric’s belongings had been moved into our new house.

“Yes, Dad. We do.” I said in a firm voice. Dad wouldn’t believe me otherwise. Whenever I used a normal voice, he convinced himself I wasn’t being concise enough or something. He would tell me I was too young to move out, that I wasn’t ready, and that it was okay to be scared. He was the one afraid, though. Not me. Eric and Daddy were moving the couch from one side of the living room.

“Shit. I’m too old for this.” Daddy grunted.

“You’re not too old. You’re too lazy.” Eric joked, setting his end of the couch down.

“What ever happened to respect for your elders?”

Dad bit his lip, watching the scene play out before his eyes. “I just don’t know if you two are ready. I mean, you’ve only just got your eating under control.”

“It’s been five months.” I sighed. “Dad, I have to move out sometime. It had to happen. Bella moved out, I’m moving out. You and Daddy can… go on tour if you want. Go on a year long vacation. Join the circus….”

“What if you wake up in the middle of the night and can’t get back to sleep?” Dad gasped.

“I’ll get a glass of milk and get back into bed until I do fall asleep.” I said sarcastically.

“Hey, now.” Daddy said, coming up and hugging Dad. “Don’t tease Frankie, he can’t help worrying about you. You’re the—.”

“Baby.” I sneered, and pouted in Eric’s direction. He was looking at the room, concentrating very hard on whatever he was thinking. “I’m so sick of being the baby.” I turned my attention back to my parents. “Being ‘the baby’ has held me back from so much. My life has been, like, completely sheltered.”

Eric snorted. “It has not. You’re just played the part of the sheltered parent around your parents.”

My mouth fell open, but then I smirked. “You, hush.”

“Make me.” Eric stuck his tongue out.

I darted across the room and he ran towards the kitchen, laughing loudly.

“Okay! We’ll be leaving then!” Daddy called.

“Bye!” We both yelled simultaneously. I heard Dad trying to persuade Daddy to let him stay longer, but in the end they both retreated outside and I heard the front door close.

I wrapped my arms around Eric as he tried to run past me, laughing.

“No!” Eric tried to wriggle free from my arms.

“Yes.” I whispered, my mouth close to his ear. “Hey.”

Eric looked up at me and his green eyes shone brightly. “I’m so ready to begin my life with you.” He declared, no longer struggling to break free of my grasp. He relaxed against me, closing his eyes and smiling contently.

“So what was marriage? Just a chance to get some bling?”

“It wasn’t all about the bling. The cake had a part in that too.” He giggled.

I let him go, laughing quietly. “Well, Eric…”

“Well Aiden…” He mocked my tone, wrapping his arms around my neck.

“We have this huge house that is ours.” I continued, rolling my eyes.

“Oh, really?” Eric leaned his face towards mine. His breath felt hot against my face. “What do you suppose we do about this then?”

“Ever done it on a kitchen table?”