Jukebox Lovers

12 P.M.

A Few Months Later

It was noon and I couldn't be happier. Jacqui and I were spending Christmas break together with my mother. It was the day before Christmas Eve, and he was helping me wrap last minute gifts before Annemarie and Brendan came over for a Christmas party.

"Baby, what wrapping paper do you want to use for Annemarie's gifts?" I asked, pushing the three rolls of wrapping paper towards him. He pursed his lip in thought for a moment before pointing at a silver and light blue striped one. I nodded and placed her gift on it, cutting the wrapping paper so it fit the gift properly.

"Adrian?" he asked in his small voice as he finished wrapping Brendan's last gift.

"Yes, love?"

"Do you think we'll be together forever?"

I smiled and kissed his lips, "Of course."

He grinned and scooted toward me so our legs were touching, starting to wrap another one of Annemarie's gifts as I creased and taped the paper to the gift I was wrapping. I placed a silver bow atop, put a label on it, and slid it under the tree. Jacqui finished and did the same before taking my hand and standing up with me.

We walked to the kitchen, hand in hand, to see what my mother was doing. She turned around and grinned at us before asking us to help her make baked goods for the various Christmas celebrations that would go on for the next few days.

I looked around the messy kitchen. Eggs, vanilla, almond extract, cocoa, cookie cutters, cakepans, bowls filled with varying mixes, spoons, measuring cups, and everything else used to cook were strewn about the table and countertops. The mixer had powder flying out of it, beating something.

"What are we supposed to do?" I asked.

"Oh I don't know," she said, flicking off the mixer and removing the bowl, "but you can be doing something."

My eyes darted around the kitchen. Jacqui and I exchanged looks and I looked back up at her, "Mum, we have no idea."

She gave me a frustrated look and looked around. A timer went off and she ordered me to remove the cookies that were apparentally finished. I turned the timer off and looked over to my confused lover, who had followed me over, obviously feeling left out.

"Mrs. Hall, what can I do?" he said in his usual shy voice, looking over at my mother.

"Oh Jacqui, you know to call me Mom! And you don't have to do anything. You're a guest."

He smiled politely, "But I want to help."

She smiled back at him, "Now, Adrian. You better keep this one around. He's useful. Why don't you go mix that over there, sweetheart?" She directed him towards a yellow bowl and he nodded.

"Adrian, can I see you in the other room?" asked my mother. I nodded and followed her into the living room.

"What is it?" I asked, once we were alone.

"You are in love with this boy, right?" she asked.

I looked at her skeptically and nodded. I was head over heels in love with Jacqui.

"You're one hundred percent positive?"

I nodded.

She smiled, "Okay. I'm leaving soon. I'll be back on Christmas."

I furrowed my brow, unsure of what the conversation was about. I knew she was leaving to go see family that didn't like me much, but I wanted to ask her why she was asking about my relationship. I opened my mouth, but she simply walked out of the room.

"Merry Christmas, I have booze!" Annemarie announced, letting herself in, four bottles of whiskey under her arm. Brendan was following her, carrying several gifts wrapped in polka dotted wrapping paper.

"Help?" asked Brendan and I laughed, walking over to help him with the presents. I carried them into the living room and placed them under the tree, winking at Jacqui as he stood up from his spot on the sofa. I wrapped an arm around his waist and walked to the kitchen with him.

"Happy holidays," Jacqui said.

"Merry fucking Christmas. Let's get wasted," Annemarie announced, walking into the living room and dropping the bottles of whiskey on the sofa with a clang.

We followed her into the living room, watching as she unscrewed the top of the first bottle of whiskey. My mother was aware we were going to be drinking, and she didn't care, but I didn't want to get started so early.

"Well before you're too trashed, let's do gifts," I said, picking up the stack of gifts meant for her and setting them next to her on the sofa.

Jacqui and Brendan helped me pass out gifts. Annemarie was already ripping into the first one, a smile adorned on her makeup-covered face.

"Sweet, thanks, guys. Have a drink," Annemarie said, looking at the songs on the back of the CD after tossing a bottle of whiskey at us. Jacqui caught it and looked up at me. I shrugged and he set it on the floor next to us.

"Welcome. Go ahead, Bren."

Brendan opened his top gift and grinned, "Thanks. I love you guys." He looked at the video game and all it's features, his eyes lighting up.

Jacqui pulled our stack of gifts close and opened the top one, from both Annemarie and Brendan. It was just a CD, like expected. We thanked them and we continued with our circle, Annemarie getting more wasted by the minute as everyone else stayed clean.

We were at the end of the stack, and it was time for us to open our last gift. We opened it and thanked them again. It was a picture of us laying in bed in a wrought iron frame. It was thoughtful, and I realized how hard it must have been for Brendan to see us like we were after his hard breakup with Mandy. I pulled away from Jacqui a little as I looked up at my friend with his sad blue eyes. Jacqui looked up and I realized he understood, because he scooted even further away. Everyone thanked one another one last time before Brendan packing their things into the largest box. I brought out all of my mother's baked goods while he did just that.

Annemarie turned down the food as she downed the rest of her bottle, and Brendan took a handful of cookies. Jacqui smiled at me and took a truffle before I sat down on the floor next to him.

"You know we've been best friends for like nine years," Annemarie slurred, holding up six fingers as she dropped her bottle.

I smiled and nodded.

"I love you bro," Annemarie said, stumbling her way over and giving me a sloppy kiss on the cheek. Brendan chuckled a little as she stumbled over to him and plopped herself on his lap.

"Annemarie, can you, move a little?" Brendan asked, his eyes wide. I snickered to myself, realizing what she'd done. She gave him a blank look and adjusted herself, earning even more of a reaction from him.

"Whatsthat?" slurred Annemarie.

I turned and looked where she was pointing, well rather next to where she was pointing, since she was probably pointing at the double. There was an envelope.

Jacqui picked it up and opened it. He sat next to me and I put my arm around him, reading the text the letter held.

Dear Adrian and Jacqui,

I hope you all the best. I know you two love each other very much, and I am so glad you found one another. Adrian, I remember when you were so sad, but once you met Jacqui you were practically glowing all the time. For you two to find each other again must be destiny. I'm proud to have you as my son, Adrian, and you too, Jacqui. I think of you that way.

After Christmas, I will be moving up north. I'll be happier, and closer to family. I've found a wonderful home, and will be leaving immediately after New Year's.

I'm leaving this house to you two, so you can start a life together. If you wish, you can sell it for what it's worth and get something else in the city, but it's yours, nonetheless.

I was going to do this Christmas Day, but I didn't want to do it with all the relatives around, getting jealous and whatnot. I love you both. Merry Christmas, my darlings.

Love,
Mom


Jacqui and I exchanged looks and he beamed at me. I felt tears fall down my cheeks and I looked up at Brendan and Annemarie.

"She gave us the house," I whispered.

"This house?" asked Brendan.

I nodded, "To start our life together."

"Wow. That's big," Brendan said.

"What's big?" Annemarie slurred. We ignored her.

"We should be going, Annie. Come on." He pushed her off his lap and helped her out of the room, carrying the box with their things. I heard the front door slam and I looked at Jacqui.

"I love you," Jacqui said.

"I love you, too."

He kissed my lips and looked straight into my eyes, "Let's start our life together."
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you liked the ending!

New original out soon!