Jukebox Lovers

6 P.M.

It was six in the afternoon and Annemarie had already called me eight times, getting my hopes up thinking it may be Jacqui, telling me what his father did to him after pulling him out of class. Every time we had the same short conversation.

"Why won't you come watch a movie with me?"

"We have school."

"Since when do you care?"

"I care about school."

"Whatever. You're lame."

"Thank you, Annie dearest."

"Bite me, Hall."

I waited for the phone to ring again, hoping and praying Jacqui would think to call me when he could. I clicked my tongue in my mouth, impatiently. Part of me wanted to dial his number and fawn over him, but the other part of me told me that would be a horrible idea. I shuddered at what his father would do to him if he recieved a phone call. I wondered how he worked things out with his band. I wondered if his band even knew about his situation with his dad. They probably had figured it out by now. Obviously, they spent a lot of time practicing together if they played so well.

"Adrian!" I heard my mother call. I sighed and walked out to see her standing with Annemarie. Annemarie held a movie in her hand, and I realized I was going to be forced to watch it with her. She pulled me by the sleeve to my room and put the DVD into the DVD player after turning on the television's power.

"You refuse to come to me, I come to you."

"You know I hate movies like this," I said, realizing it was a horror film.

"So do I. That's why you're watching it with me."

"Why not just keep us both from suffering?"

"Less fun," she said, shrugging.

I sighed and leaned back, dozing a little bit as I kept glancing over at my duct-tape-covered telephone.

The next morning at school, I kept looking and looking for Jacqui. I saw him nowhere. Hoping he was running a little late, I paced myself on my way to my first hour, glancing about. There was still no sign of him. I sighed, so scared of what could have happened to him as I opened the door to my class. Every thought that rushed through my mind was negative. I mentally slapped myself, but still I could not get high hopes. Jacqui Larson deserved so much better than he receieved, and I couldn't even do a thing about it.

Thoughts of a crying, broken Jacqui enveloped my mind. I could only imagine what he went through, and even then my heart broke in two.

"Mr. Hall, are you going to do your work or not?"

I looked up and blushed as I noticed the entire class staring at me, sniggering.

"Um, yeah, I am."

"Do you even know the assignment?" I looked from Mr. Barker to my computer and slowly shook my head.

He emphasized an angry sigh and tapped his foot, "I will repeat the assignment one more time and if I get any questions, there will be an immediate deteniton."

I listened to him explain the assignment and I slowly opened the word processor, typing out the table he had assigned us, and adding pictures with captions where specified. The corner of my computer said I had an e-mail and I clicked on it.

Recipient: Adrian Hall <adrihall@schoolmail.net>
From: THH Office <texashillsofficestaff@schoolmail.net>
Sent Date: 09/17/08
Subject: <NoSubject>

It has come to our attention that you are socially involved with a Jacqui Larson. His father has requested a restraining order against you, and the police have granted it. It will go into effect September 18th, 2008.

If you are caught within one hundred feet and/or looking in the direction of Mr. Larson during school or on school grounds, we will be forced to give you a sustaining suspension that will be looked over by the court.

All of your classes have been re-arranged. Your schedule will be delivered to you during your Study Hall on September 17th, 2008. Thank you for your cooperation.

- Superindent Manson
- Principal Walters

I stared at the e-mail and felt an excruciating pain in my chest. How did this happen? How could this happen? This was not happening.

The bell rang and I stumbled out of the computer lab, almost keeling over, the taste of bile entering my mouth. Annemarie raced up to me, smile adorning her face.

"Hey, Hall! Guess who I just saw!"

"Who?" I asked bitterly.

"Your love," she siad, smirking.

My eyes widened, "Where?"

"Just down this hall--"

"We have to go the other way."

"Why--?"

"Just turn around, I'll tell you later." She rolled her eyes and followed me.

"Just because you're too much of a pussy to--"

I felt a tear fall down my face, "That's not it, okay, Annemarie? Just drop it."

Her face fell and I could tell she honestly felt bad. She followed me the long way to AP Physics and we plopped our things next to each other. With a low voice, I explained what the e-mail had said.

"That's bull shit, dude."

I nodded slowly and tears fall. I tried to hold them back but they fell anyway. Annemarie held me close and then looked around.

"Write him a note."

"I don't want to."

"Liar."

"Well it's not like I can give it to--"

"The restraining order doesn't say I can't go around him, does it? Nope. Didn't think so. Once he's eighteen, that restraining order doesn't work anymore, because it's under him being a minor. Plus, it's not like he's not out on the streets all the time. He obviously wants to be around you, so at night you guys can meet up. Like in Romeo and Juliet!"

I smiled slowly, wishing I could believe what she said.

"Please, write him a note this hour. I'll take care of the rest." She ripped out a piece of paper from her notebook and slid it towards me along with her violet pen.

Class started and as I ignored Mr. Wheeler drone on, I began writing my letter.

Dear Jacqui,

I hope that this whole restraining order thing doesn't ruin our friendship and everything. I want to take care of you and protect you from all that's bad around you. I don't want you to be hurt, but I don't want your dad to call the cops and get thrown in jail either.

I hope everything turns out, but when you're eighteen this can all go away and we can be friends and we won't have to hide it. You can move in with me and my mom and we'll take care of you and I promise things'll be better.

I really am sad that all of this happened, but we're going to work something out, and we'll be really careful and we'll make sure we don't get caught.

You're an amazing person, Jacqui, and never let him tell you different. Never let anyone at all tell you different. You're amazing. Ferreal.

Sincerely,
Adrian


I slipped it to Annemarie and she read it, smiling.

"Aww," she whispered, folding it neatly and putting it in her pocket.

During class change, I was so tempted to follow Annemarie, because I really wanted to see Jacqui's reaction to my note, but I knew that wasn't in my options. I walked towards Study Hall and made my way to my seat. Mrs. Mullberry looked at me and put a pink sheet on my desk.

"Your classes changed."

I nodded and looked over the pink sheet. I sighed in relief, happy that I would at least be in a lot of Annemarie's classes.

Two jocks walked in the classroom, chatting animatedly. One was named Austin Daly and the other was John Huber. I didn't talk to them very often, but they seemed pretty friendly.

"Yeah, dude. I felt so bad. I didn't mean to hurt his feelings like that. It was a fucking joke."

"Language, Mr. Daly!"

"Sorry, Mrs. Mull. But seriously, dude. Like. The kid started bawling."

"Just because you told him you'd beat his ass?"

"Mr. Huber! What'd I jus tell Mr. Daly?"

"Sorry, Mrs. Mull. But like. You were kidding, right?"

"Yeah I was totally kidding! He just looked sad so I was all be happy or I'll beat your ass--"

"I won't tell you again, boys," Mrs. Mullberry said, looking over her glasses.

"Sorry, Mrs. Mull," they chorused.

"But yeah, anyway. I said that, and he started like sobbing, dude."

"Seriously? Wow. Messed up."

"Yeah. I just wanted him to cheer up, he looked so fu--," he looked at Mrs. Mullberry quickly, "--reaking sad."

"Who was it?"

"Uh...something Larson."

"Oh I know him," John said, shaking his head, "and you're right. He seems like a sad kid. Just apologize later, dude."

I sighed. My poor, poor angel.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long! I've been extreeeemely busy.