Jukebox Lovers

9 A.M.

It was nine in the morning and I could hear people stirring in the dorms. Brendan began to shake me and I grumbled. I really did not want to go to Psychology class.

"Come on, you already skipped and we're two weeks into semester. You need to go," Brendan urged, "plus don't you want to meet your new friend?"

I shook my head, buried it into my pillow, and moaned, "Nooo."

Brendan sighed and pulled me off my mattress. I hit the ground with a loud thud! and I rubbed my head, which hit the floor rather hard. I glared at him and got to my feet before stomping over to our dresser. I picked out a pair of my regular tight flare girl jeans and a black band shirt. I sighed and made my way to the small bathroom to begin my morning rituals.

I took my seat for Psychology class. Brendan followed a redheaded girl out of the class the moment we made our way in there, so I looked around the room. Nobody else was in the room yet except for two science geeks named Melvin and Zack. They were in a deep discussion over some recent NASA spacecraft taking off soon or something. I could hardly understand a word they were saying, so I turned my attention to my Psychology notes, making an effort to at least understand those.

"Hey, sugarlips," Annemarie said, throwing her things on the desk behind me and kissing my cheek, "guess what. You will not ever in a zillion bajillion years guess."

"You switched into this class?" I guessed.

She glared, "Smart ass."

I smiled, "But of course. We have a seating chart in here, Annie," I informed her, "and that's some girl named Leah's seat."

She frowned, "Does someone sit next to you?"

"Well Brendan says someone does now. I don't know who."

"Ah. Well, Leah can fuck a weasel. I want to sit here."

"Lovely, Annemarie, lovely."

"I know," she said and smiled, "so when does class start?"

"Five minutes or so," I answered, glancing at the clock.

Professor Koalchek walked into the room, being bombarded by questions from Melvin and Zack. He answered none of them and made his way towards the front of the classroom. He looked at Annemarie, skeptically.

"Did you just switch in?"

Annemarie nodded.

"You can sit...over there," he pointed at a seat on the other side of the room, "next to Melvin."

Melvin smiled a weasel-like smile and looked at her expectantly. She made a face and looked up at Koalchek, "Why can't I sit there?"

"That seat is assigned for someone."

"We're in college, damn it. We shouldn't be forced to sit next to freaks," she mumbled, lugging her things reluctantly over to the desk.

People began shuffling in as Annemarie plopped her things on the desk loudly. A group of giggling girls came in, followed by some guys they had obviously just rejected, one of them being Brendan. I made a sad face at him and he shrugged. One of the girls had been the redhead he had ran after. Her name was Kaylynn or something like that and apparentally he liked her a lot. I felt bad for him, because every day after Psychology he would never shut up about her. How did she not see how much he liked her?

The bell rang and I looked expectantly at the door. Where was that new boy Brendan was going on about?

Professor Koalchek started taking attendance, "Hall...you weren't here last time. Do you have your essay?"

I pursed my lips, reluctant to give him the sad excuse of an essay to him. I nodded and retrieved it from my folder, walking it up to him, slowly. He eyed me and the two-page paper before accepting it and setting it on his desk, "Anyway," he continued with attendance, "Harper. Hastings. Huber. Jackson, Johnson. Kekovich...Laddings...Larson?" His head shot up and my eyes grew wide.

Larson? I almost choked. I couldn't even think the name. I took deep breaths. Larson was a common name. It wasn't my Larson, not my Jacqui. It couldn't be.

"No Larson, I guess..." Koalchek said, and continued with attendance.

The rest of the class was present and he began with the lesson.

"Brendan?" I asked as he was holding me later that night, trying to coax me into feeling better again.

"Yeah?"

"Do you remember that kid's first name? The one you thought I'd get along with?"

He squinted and shook his head, "No I don't recall it. You know how Koalchek just spouts off last names. Why?"

I shrugged, "Just curious."

"Do you feel any better?"

I shrugged, "I suppose."

He sighed and tightened his arms, "Come on, Hall. If you don't cheer up soon I'm going to have to do this every night. People already think we're gay together. Annemarie's bound to get bored and take pictures," he said, humor evident in his voice. I laughed a little.

"Brendan?"

"Yeah?"

"Why am I unhappy?"

"I'm failing Psych. How am I supposed to know?" he said lightheartedly.

I frowned, "I don't know. I just want to be happy like I used to be."

His voice was serious this time, "How long has it been since you've been happy?"

"I don't know. Probably ever since that night in the alley with Jacqui. Things were never the same since then. I just wish," I paused, trying to find words that wouldn't make me sound like a girl, "that I had a normal relationship. One with a normal guy with a normal family that actually liked me enough to let me see him."

Brendan sighed and tightened his grip on my waist again, "Sometimes things don't work that way. You'll find someone. I know it sounds cheesy, but everyone does. Even those fat broads with buzzcuts and multiple chins find some freak willing to marry them, so you'll find someone. I'm a straight dude so maybe my opinion doesn't matter, but it's obvious you're an attractive guy."

I smiled a little, "Thanks."

"Welcome. Now let's decrease the gay level before Annemarie shows up, because I'm not in the mood for her jokes."

I laughed and nodded, getting up and making my way over to the desk. I turned on my laptop and quickly glanced back at Brendan. I signed into my Instant Messenger, afraid to talk to my mother, since she was online.

xxEmoxPenguinsxx has added you! Would you like to accept?

I clicked the accept button and whoever xxEmoxPenguinsxx was, they were online.

xxEmoxPenguinsxx (7:04:19 PM): hey babe!

AdrianIsKilluh (7:04:34 PM): who is this?

xxEmoxPenguinsxx (7:04:55 PM): mandy le-duh!

I processed the information. Mandy was the only other friend I ever had in high school. After Jacqui was transferred to a different school through his foster home, Mandy moved here. When I got tired of Annemarie, I hung out with Mandy. She knew everything about me, and I trusted her with it.

AdrianIsKilluh (7:05:02 PM): oh hey! how are you?

xxEmoxPenguinsxx (7:05:15): spectaculaarrrrrrr. et toi?

AdrianIsKilluh (7:05:25 PM): ok

xxEmoxPenguinsxx (7:06:17): youll be better when you hear the news.

AdrianIsKilluh (7:06:21 PM): what?

xxEmoxPenguinsxx (7:06:23 PM): oh fuck! g2g i'll call you

xxEmoxPenguinsxx has signed out and is currently unavailable.

I sighed and signed out of IM. I didn't go out with Annemarie and Brendan because I was waiting for that phone call, afraid I would miss it if I left.

It never came.

The next morning, Brendan and I were getting ready to go down for breakfast when I brought up the Larson person again. I asked for a description and Brendan narrowed his eyes in thought.

"I am hungover, so it may not be completely accurate because I cannot think right now. Anyway, dark hair, dark eyes, pale, I don't know. Looks like you but different. Why?"

I cocked an eyebrow and shrugged.

"Are you still on about that Jacqui kid?"

"Nah," I lied, "We probably won't see each other again."

Brendan frowned and threw an arm around me, "It wasn't meant to be, then. You'll find some hot guy and go off and be happy. I promise."

I smiled at him, "Thanks, Bren."
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter really sucks. I'm super sorry. Just another filler.

Next chapter's gonna be good. Promisepromisepromise.