Status: This story is finished. :D

Unbound

Strength of the World

Charlie’s vision blurred and tears fell uncontrollably from her eyes as she ran from the theatre. She wasn’t really sure where she was going exactly but anywhere was fine with her as long as it was away from her mother. She was almost to the lobby when a door opened and she almost crashed head-long into someone exiting the door.

“Oh, Charlie.” Jo said holding her shoulders an arms length away from her. “What are you- oh my God what happened?!”

“Jo…oh, um nothing.” Charlie said, wiping her eyes on the back of her hand, smearing her mascara and eyeliner.

“Honey are you alright?” Jo asked.

“I’m…I’m fine.” Charlie said weakly.

“Why were you crying?” Jo asked.

“Crying? I wasn’t crying.”

“You’re a horrible liar you know.” Jo said smiling kindly. “Especially when your makeup’s running down your face.”

“It’s nothing.” Charlie said looking away. “I’m sorry for almost knocking you down, I… I should be heading-”

“Wait a minute, where are you going?” Jo asked before Charlie could walk away. “Aren’t you going to the rehearsal?”

“Oh. Right.” Charlie said. “The rehearsal.”

“Come on, you can stand with me.” Jo said taking her hand and leading her back to the theatre. “So… are you going to tell me what happened earlier, or am I just going to have to get you really drunk tonight until you spill?”

“Really Jo, it’s nothing. Just something my mom said.” Charlie said, glancing behind her to see the rest of the girls following closely behind on their way to the theatre.

“That’s it.” Jo sighed. “We’re going drinking tonight. And I’m not taking no for an answer.”

“Wait but my mom…” Charlie trailed off as Jo led the way to the backstage area.

“What about her?” Jo asked.

“There’s no way she’ll let me go.” Charlie said.

“And how old are you again?” Jo asked. “Your mom can’t control you forever Charlie.”

Charlie looked down, slightly embarrassed.

“Well I’m still not taking no for an answer.” Jo said after Charlie didn’t say anything. “You’re coming drinking with me tonight even if I have to sneak you out.”

Charlie returned to her hotel room an hour later feeling as if she was going to collapse from exhaustion. Which, she probably was.

“Well it’s about time.” Lisa said, tossing the magazine she was reading aside and standing up from the armchair she was in. “Are you done pitching a fit now?”

Charlie ignored her and went to the mini refrigerator in the room’s small kitchen. But to her dismay, she found nothing but water bottles and green apples. Deciding that the apple would at least do something for her hunger, she grabbed one and took a large bite. Her stomach almost immediately started to feel better as she walked further into the room and sat down on the edge of one of the beds with her apple.

“And just what do you think you’re doing?” Lisa asked, following her into the room.

“Eating.” Charlie said through a mouthful of apple.

“Yes I can see that.” Lisa snapped. “Why?”

“Because I’m hungry.” Charlie replied smartly as she picked up the TV remote beside her and clicked the power button. “Could you move please? I can’t see.”

Lisa snatched Charlie’s half-eaten apple from her hands and stalked back to the kitchen to throw it away.

“Hey!” Charlie shouted, jumping up to follower her. “I wasn’t finished with that.”

“Yes,” Lisa said through gritted teeth as she threw it away. “you are.”

“Fine.” Charlie said coolly as she walked towards the mini refrigerator. “I’ll just get another one.”

“No.” Lisa said angrily, stepping in front of the fridge.

“What?” Charlie sneered. “You’re going to stop me?”

Lisa raised her hand to slap her but resisted.

“That’s right.” Charlie smiled. “You can’t hit me this time. You wouldn’t want to leave a mark the judges would see.”

This pushed Lisa further and she struck Charlie open-handedly across the side of her face. Charlie gasped as she searing pain and force almost knocked her to the floor.

“There’s this thing called makeup sweetheart.” Lisa sneered. “Hides almost anything.”