No Flaws When You're Pretending

Sick of 'Perfection'

To the outside world, my family was perfect. Perfect house. Perfect life. Perfect daughter. My parents were no exception. As far as they knew, everything was perfect. And by everything, I mean me. They're under the impression that I, myself, am perfect. Of course, it doesn't help that I play along to their fantasies. I work hard to get the perfect grades. I dress to look like the perfect daughter. Anything that will make me look perfect, I do. But I'm sick of living this lie. I want to be me. I want to stop wearing skirts and 'pretty' pink shirts. I want to wear t-shirts and jeans. I want to have a life other than studying and homework. I want to be able to be a normal teenager.

"Lauren," my mom said, knocking lightly on my bedroom door before opening it. "Your father's boss has invited us all out to dinner."

I watched as her eyes scanned what I was wearing.

"You'll need to change into something else," she said. "Maybe that dress I just got you the other day."

"Ok," I said.

"We'll be leaving in about a half an hour," my mom said before leaving my room.

Great. Just what I wanted to do. Go out and have dinner with my parents and my dads boss. I reluctantly got off my computer chair and went to my closet, pulling out the plain dress my mom wanted me to wear. I changed quickly and found a pair of shoes to wear with the dress before heading downstairs. I went to the living room and sat on the couch, waiting for my parents to be ready to go. I just wanted to get this over with.

--------------------------------------------------------

"So, this is the Lauren I've been hearing all about," my dad's boss, Roy, said, as I accepted his hand to shake. We all sat down at a table in the fancy restaurant we were eating at. "You know, my son is about the same age as Lauren, I think."

"Really," my dad said. "You'll have to bring him over some time."

"I'll do that," said Roy. I groaned inwardly. Of coarse he has a son about my age. Roy turned to me. "So, I hear you're quite the scholar."

"I don't know about that," I said.

"Oh Lauren," my mother said, smiling. "Stop being so modest."

I really wished someone would kill me now. I was sick of all of this. I needed to do something about all this 'perfection'. As soon as I find an oppurtunity to do so, I'm going to take full advantage of it.

My parents continued another conversation with Roy. I couldn't wait for this night to be over.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tell me what you think :]
~Sally