No Flaws When You're Pretending

Friends

The next day at school, I searched for Brendon before my first class. I found him talking and laughing with a group of friends. I approached cautiously, trying to figure out how to get his attention. Luckily, he turned his head and saw me, his smile growing noticeably.

"Lauren," he said. "What are you doing?"

"I was wondering if I could talk to you for a minute," I said.

"Sure," he said. He turned to his friends. "See you guys later."

Brendon left the group and followed me. I found an empty classroom and went inside with Brendon. I turned and faced Brendon as he closed the classroom door.

"So," said Brendon, still smiling. "What can I do for you?"

I sighed.

"Well," I said. "I figured out what you can do to make up for yesterday."

"Really?" he asked.

"Yeah," I said.

"What is it?" he asked, curiousity evident in his expression.

"First you should know something," I said. "My parents expect me to be the image of perfection, and I work very hard to keep them happy. But now I'm sick of it. I want to be myself. I want to do what I want. And that's where you come in."

"Go on," said Brendon.

"I hope this doesn't offend you," I said. "But I don't think my parents would approve of you."

"No offense taken," he said. I smiled.

"Good," I said. "Now, I was hoping that we could be friends."

"So you want to use me to make your parents unhappy?" Brendon asked. I frowned.

"I don't want you to think I'm just using you," I said. "I mean, technically I am, but I genuinely think we could be friends. You seem nice enough."

Brendon smiled, so I smiled back.

"Ok," he said. "Let's be friends, then."
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments??
~Sally