All That Remains

Blue Eyes and Butterflies

I placed the doll in my small patchwork bag I had made. I then slowly and hesistantly made my way around the rest of the house whilst trying to fight back tears.

My mind flashed back to that night again. I stood for an hour, watching my house burn down before my eyes. After a little while I sat down, hugging my legs against my chest with my head on my knees I wanted to block it all out, it wasn't happening. I couldn't be.

I didn't leave the house for the next three days. You see we live in a remote spread out town by the sea. The closest neighbour was miles away as our property was bordered by a forest. It took a few hours before anyone noticed. By then it was too late. Too late for my belongings, too late for our house and too late for my parents.

As soon as I heard sirens and saw flashing lights I ran. It was instinct it seemed. I was too overwhelemed by everything that I ran without any thought of where to.

I ended up in the forest. I ran along the path we had often walked before. I remebered my mum and dad walking with me and telling me off when I wandered too far off the path, chasing a butterfly or something. That made me even more upset, thinking about them. I ran further into the forest and off the track. Low braches and prickly shrubs pulled at my clothes and tore at my skin.

I eventually stopped completely out of breath, tears still running down my face. I rubbed at my eyes and face trying to remove the ash. I lay down in between some trees and fell asleep crying, utterly exhausted and overwhelmed by the previous events.

I awoke to bright sunlight streaming down through the trees. It was a nice day and I was somewhat at peace until I remebered what had happened and where I was. Then suddenly startled out of my thoughts, I heard a rustle behind me. I glance around and take in my surroundings. A lots of trees, a few shrubs and some bird. Nothing out of the ordinary. Then a flash of movement catches my eye....I could've sworn I saw a face. "Hey" I managed to call out weakly.. Slowly and hesistantly although somewhat confidently a boy came out from behind a tree. Just enough for us to see each other. He looked a bit disheveled. His deep blue eyes bored into me. With his pale skin and blonde hair he reminded me of some sort of angel. It was like you looked at him and your problems melted away.

He didn't seem surprised to see me, just curious. He couldn't have been much older than me. Then without warning he disappeared behind a tree. Something told me to follow him. Some voice in my mind. Without questioning it I obeyed it. I walked over to the tree where he was standing. Just before I got there he moved behind some more trees. I continued to follow him, darting in and out of trees each time catchin a glimpse of him. Though it seemed he would pause and look back every few seconds. It was as if he was leading me.

The trees seemed to thin and the sunlight grew more intense. Then I relised I was at the edge of the forest. I looked out acorss the open fiel, looking for him. I spun aorund and glanced back at the forest. All I saw was was a deep blue butterfly, the same colour as his eyes. That was the last time I saw him but I never forgot him. The angel that lead me out of the forest> My guardian angel.