Expensive Heartache.

Chapter 9

She sank to her knees in the sand.
'I'm a horrible person,' she thought, hysterically. She kept seeing Zack's face as he stared at her, so many emotions revealed in his eyes.
The waves were crashing against the beach, the white foam almost reaching her. She wished it would come up that bit farther and wash away her regrets and her problems. She wished it would wash away herself.
Just as that last thought became oh so appealing, she was rudely prevented from carrying it out when someone grabbed her arm and pulled her up from her kneeling position, spinning her round. She kept her eyes on the floor, though by the sight of a pair of battered Nikes, she didn't need the mystery person to speak to know who it was.
"Did you mean it, Alice? Did you really mean it?"
She reached up and wiped away the wet paths that striped her cheeks, mainly to discourage more tears than anything else.
"Which part?"
"The part where you said it did mean something to you."
She nodded, finally looking up into Brian's face to see him looking hopeful, yet nervous; she could see a red, swollen-looking patch on his cheek and didn't need any clues as to who had done it.
She reached up and touched it lightly. "Do you want me to kiss it better?" she asked, the first traces of a smile spreading across her face.
He smiled back.
Taking it as a 'yes', she leant up to kiss it, but at the last second he turned his head, his lips catching hers for a mind-blowing kiss, sliding his tongue into her mouth after she instantly gave him permission.
The kiss, in reality, only lasted a few seconds, though to them it seemed like hours. She felt that even that wasn't long enough to get across her true feelings for him; she didn't have to wait long to tell him in a more distinct way.
"I love you," he whispered, his hand lightly caressing her cheek, "so much."
She smiled widely, one of those smiles that make your cheeks ache through the show of happiness.
"I love you, too," she replied, this time succeeding in kissing his bruised, injured cheek.