Distance

Late Night.

"Hey."

I almost couldn't believe Danica was standing on my doorstep. Wearing Mike's jeans, no less. I made a sincere effort not to look nervous.

"Hey."

There was probably the most awkward pause either of us had ever experianced before she cracked a smile.

"You gonna let me in? Or are we gonna sleep outside tonight?"

It would probably be a good idea to sleep outside. It would probably be a good idea to sleep anywhere but in my room, on my bed, where naughty things had happened.

I shouldn't have even thought about that. Now her little gasps and moans were running on a loop in my head and all I wanted was to grab her and slam her up against the wall, then mash my lips against her's.

Suddenly, I realized that Danica was still on my doorstep, staring at me with an odd expression.

"Sorry, I zoned out a little. Come on in."

I had a sudden, sharp realization that, in a way, I'd just invited the devil into my house. Danica slipped past me like a shadow and vanished into my kitchen.

My stomach sank into my shoes, but I followed her anyways.

***

"You're such a neat freak, Bill," she said dryly, observing the mess that was my room.
"Well, you know me. OCD all the way."

She chuckled, and curled up into a ball amidst the discarded t-shirts, crumpled sheets and tattered blankets.

"Mmm," she sighed. "I adore your cologne."

I felt myself flush.

"You bought it for me, Dani."
"I know. And I adore it." She smiled at me. "What are we watching?"
"Underworld."

I was quite proud of myself for picking a movie that had no sex in it, and nothing even remotely scary. Danica stretched.

"Pop it in, and let's get this party started."

***

Forty-three minutes into the movie, and Danica had snuggled up against me, laying her head on my chest. It was a position that we'd been in a thousand times, but tonight it made all my nerve endings itch.

"Billie."
"Mhmm?"
"Do you ever...think about me?"

There was only so long I could pretend to be fascinated by the crap movie on the television screen. Against my better instincts, I decided to be honest.

"Sure, Dani. I think about you."

"No, Bill. I mean..." I could almost feel the heat radiating from her face. "Do you...you know...think about me?"

Honestly, I'd known what she was talking about from the beginning. I knew she was asking if I wanted to fuck her again. And my mind was in a frenzy.

I did want her. I still wanted her. Even though I cared about Jordan, and wanted to be with him, there was still a part of me that couldn't let her go.

Granted, that part was located in the vicinity of my crotch, but still...

"Dani..."

I should have shoved her away. I really should have.

"Billie, just be honest for once. Do you really want things between you and me to stop for good?"

I couldn't ignore the way her hand was sliding up my thigh, or the way that she was leaning towards me. I could feel her breath on my cheek, smell her hair...

"Just..."