Distance

Hand in the Cookie Jar.

"What the fuck is going on here?!"

I nearly had a heart attack. Danica let out a strangled yell as I shoved her off the bed. She landed with a loud thunk on the carpet.

Mike stood in the doorway, mouth hanging open. I am willing to bet a substantial amount of cash that he was torn between beating the shit out of me or smacking Danica.

"Mike, it's definately not what it looks like," I blurted out. Danica glared up at me indignantly.
"What?!"
"It's not," I repeated firmly.

Danica wobbled to her feet and snatched her jacket from my dresser. Then stomped out of the room, nearly shoving Mike into the closet as she passed.

The room fell deadly silent after her exit. Mike stared at me, while I fidgeted uncomfortably.

"Bill...what the hell was going on?"

I sighed.

"Mike, I wish I knew. I really do."
"Well, try and explain. At least try," he pleaded, sinking down onto my mattress. "Because I'm fucking confused, and I can't keep anymore secrets from Tre than I already am."

I picked up my acoustic guitar, strumming it absently as I tried to peice my thoughts together. Mike waited patiently, watching my fingers instinctively form chords.

"It's like...no matter what I do, she's there, in the back of my head, and I can't stop thinking about her, or feeling the things I feel when she looks at me with that sparkle in her eyes. What I feel for her is nothing like what I feel for Jordan...and it kills me, because Jordan doesn't deserve this. And Tre doesn't deserve this...but I just can't make myself stop."

Mike stood up, and gently took the guitar out of my hands. He leaned down, his face inches from mine.

"Billie, just use your head. Having her in your room at night with no one around is just asking for trouble. Put some distance between the two of you, alright?" His eyes were kind. "Now call your boyfriend, and then go to bed."

He cuffed me lightly on the cheek, and I faked a smile.

My insides were churning, and my hands were shaking. I flopped down on the bed, and burrowed under the covers.

I fell asleep without calling Jordan.