Distance

Hand in the Cookie Jar Again.

"Jesus!"

Danica smirked up at me, my belt buckle in her hands.

"I really don't think he has anything to do with this." She chuckled.

"Danie, anyone could walk in..." I moaned, as a spasm of pleasure rocketed through my body.

"So?"

"But Jordan-"

"Billie, just shut up and enjoy this, okay?"

I leaned back against the stall with my eyes closed, oblivious to the sound of the bathroom door thumping quietly shut.

***

"So where were you today? You missed lunch," Jordan asked quietly.

Three months, and we were still together. The sex was still great, he still took care of me, and we rarely fought. It was perfect, but I was restless, and sometimes I wondered if I'd even be with him if Tre and Danica weren't still together. I knew he could sense my unease, and I knew it made him uncomfortable.

Sometimes, I think he knew I'd been cheating.

"I had lunch detention..." I replied, fiddling aimlessly with the radio dial. Jordan reached out and covered my hand with his own, staring at me intently.

I looked up at him, and felt my stomach curl into a knot. Jordan's eyes were a mix of resignation and stabbing pain. He knew.

"Really? 'Cause I was up in the third floor boys bathroom."

"Yeah?"

"I heard some kids in there."

I was silent. Jordan swallowed, and continued slowly.

"I bet you'd never guess what their names were."

I tried for a weak chuckle, but it came out like a sob.

"Billie. Billie in the third floor bathroom, with his best friend Danica on her knees..." Jordan's voice broke and he looked away.

"Jordan," I tried, but he shook his head.

"Was it me? Was it something I did? I mean, I thought...I thought it was good..."

"It wasn't you," I said quickly, horrified at the pain in his face. "God, Jordan, it was never you...I just...I'm just stupid."

"Stop it."

"No, I am. What I had with you was amazing, and I just had to go and wreck it."

For a moment, I thought I might get off that easily. Then he looked up at me, his jaw thrust stubbornly forward.

"How many times?"

"Excuse me?"

"How many times have you and her..." He choked a little, but kept going. "How many times did you fuck her while we were together."

I debated briefly about whether honesty was the best policy here. Deciding that a lie would hurt worse than the truth, I cautiously said, "About...about twice a week...sometimes more."

He sucked in his breath and I wanted to scream. How could I have hurt him like this? How could I have been so selfish?

"Get out of my car," he said, his voice barely a whisper.

"Jordan-"

"Billie, just please."

I hesitated.

"Can I....can I call you later, Jordan?"

He looked up at me, tears staining his beautiful face.

"Do you know how many nights I waited for you to call, and got nothing? And now I realize that you were probably with her every single time, and that you didn't give a damn about me, the stupid boyfriend, sitting by the phone like an idiot."

"Jordan-"

"Billie, you do whatever you have to do, but get out of my car or, god help me, I'll break every bone in your face."

I scrambled out, knowing just how strong Jordan was, and just how bad he was hurting.

I watched him drive away, hot tears stinging my eyes.

Just one more good thing I've thrown away...