Distance

Fight Club.

"So is this like, a first date?" Danica asked, curled in the passenger seat of Mike's borrowed car.
"You could say that."
"I need a 'yes' or a 'no'. There's no 'maybe's involved here."
"Then, yes." I replied with a chuckle. "You could say that."

She smiled, the passing streetlights casting alternate patches of shadow and light across her face. Her eyes were sparkling and happy. The bruise I'd left on her cheek all those weeks ago was fading.

This whole situation took getting used to. The idea that she really was mine. The fact that I could reach out and touch her, cup her cheek in my hand, twine my fingers around her's, kiss her whenever I wanted. It was strange and new and I already loved it. I already loved her.

I switched on the radio, and Stevie Nicks' voice filled the car.

Just like the white winged dove sings a song, sounds like she's singing. Oooh baby, oooh, say oooh.

Danica's smile was like a shooting star as she opened her mouth and effortlessly raised her voice to match the older woman's. I reached over and squeezed her hand as we sped down the highway towards the ocean, leaving clouds of dust in the wind behind us, like ghosts in the dark.

***

"Billie."

Shit.

I'd done everything in my power to avoid Tre. I knew Mike had gone home after band practice and informed Tre of the situation. I knew it would happen. I wasn't angry, but I wished that Mike had given Danica and I at least a week of peace before springing this on poor Tre.

"Hey Tre." I said, false cheeriness in my voice.

I was not cheered by the fact that Tre's hands were curled into fists, and his brow was furrowed in anger.

"So after everything, everything...you're with her."
"Tre, look-"
"No, Bill. I don't even care about the fact that you two are dating. If she wants to waste her time with a dirtbag like you, it's fine. Her choice. But we're supposed to be friends, goddamn it. Why the fuck did I have to hear about the two of you from fucking Mike?"

I licked my lips nervously, avoiding his eyes. There was nothing I could say.

"Tre, look. I just didn't want to hurt you...and nothing was really official with me and Danie until a couple nights ago when-"
"When you two fucked for the first time." He said, voicing his assumptions.

Oh my god. Oh my god.

I couldn't lie. I couldn't say anything at all, because anything I said would be a lie. I gaped at him, mouth open, flapping like a goldfish as I tried to think of something to say.

How could I answer it without telling one of my dearest friend that I'd been screwing his girlfriend the entire time he'd been dating her?

"It's cool, Bill. Don't even bother trying to explain yourself. It's just cool to know where I stand with you."

I saw the fist coming. In my defense, I saw it coming. I refused to duck, though. Fucking refused to step out of the way. I deserved that fist. I deserved a lot more, but I wasn't stupid enough to go out and seek it. I let it hit me solidly in the nose, and I felt the bone break, blood spurting down my face.

Tre looked shocked. But then, Tre'd always expected too much from people.

"Oh my god." Danica's voice was high and frightened. "Tre, what the fuck!"

Her hands were on my shoulders, catching me as I reeled back, cursing.

"Are you a fucking animal?!" She spat, glaring at him.
"Dani-"
"No, Tre. You're always fucking beating on Billie, and it's not fucking acceptable." She snapped.
"Danica." My voice was strong, and firm, and I brushed her hands from my shoulders as I stood up straight, taking my hands from my face. The blood dripped, and my head was throbbing, but I faced my friend.

"I deserved that. I deserve more, but you're too nice to give it to me. I'm sorry, Tre. I wish things had turned out differently."

Tre chuckled.

"No, you don't. You got the girl, you lucky bastard."

He pulled me into a sloppy, bloody hug, and, in a soft whisper, barely loud enough for me to hear it, said, "You better fucking take care of her, or I'll do worse than just break your nose."
"I'll take care of her, Tre. I promise."
"Good."

And we parted. I watched him amble down the hall and out the door, and shook my head. Danica sighed.

"You guys are fucking animals. Come on, back to the emergency room..."