Distance

What's the Story, Morning Glory?

"So...how've you been, puppy?"

Sitting across the table from Jordan, a cup of hot coffee in my hands and a smile on my face, it was a throwback to times that seemed to have vanished forever. I hadn't realized what good company Jordan was.

"Oh, nothing really. Danie and I..." My voice trailed off. I didn't know what to say to him, what wouldn't make him hurt.
"Finally got it together." He said with a sad smile.

He read my thoughts on my face all too easily.

"It's alright, puppy. Really."
"Are you sure?"
"I'm not some foolish baby girl, who cries for months over a failed relationship. I've made my peace with what happened."
"I'm sorry, you know." I said earnestly. "I wish things had been different."
"Do you?" His eyes were serious.

I paused, biting my lip. Did I really wish things were different?

"It's okay, I get it. But puppy, just tell me this." Jordan's hand was suddenly on mine, his eyes open and searching. "Do you miss me at all?"

I refused to lie. I took a deep breath, and spilled my soul to him.

"I couldn't not miss you. I miss how independant you were, how you never seemed to need me to hold you hand. How I could abandon you for a few hours to go hang out with the guys and you wouldn't even question it. I miss laying in bed with you and talking about idiotic stuff. I miss smoking cigarettes with you. I miss going out drinking with you, and screwing in the back of your car. I...I miss the way we used to be."

He looked shocked. Hell, I'm sure I looked shocked as well. I hadn't even known that I'd felt that way.

But with Danica in the hospital, I felt almost free. I'd spent the passing months at her side almost constantly. Now that she wasn't cuddled under my arm, I suppose I realized how much a part of my life she had become.

"But we can't be that way ever again, I suppose." I said quickly. "I'm...I'm with Danie, and you're with...?"
"I'm not 'with' anyone, puppy. It's going to be summer, and I don't feel like being tied down."

I sighed.

"Wanna hang out sometime, puppy? I miss taking care of your silly bottom."
"Literally or figuratively?" I asked, not even sure if I was flirting or not.

Jordan chuckled.

"Both."

Oh dear...naughty thoughts a-brewin'.