Distance

Wicked Game.

"We're here!" I bellowed, weaving my way through the crowd of laughing drunks, Danica's slim, cool hand clasped tightly in my own.

"Finally!" Tre slurred, raising his glass in our direction. "This is Cadence and Brandy and Laura, and they're lovely girls!" They twittered. Their only distinguishing features were their enourmous breasts and the two men who eyed them possesively, giving each of us a dirty look as we shook their hands.
"Tre's gone and started drinking without you." Mike said dryly, rolling his eyes at the drummer. I glanced over at Tre again, and found him planting a sloppy kiss on Danica's cheek. My insides clenched in brief, jealous rage, but I was distracted from my desire to punch Tre hard in the face by Jordan.

His hand slipped smoothly up my thigh, as his lips brushed swiftly across my cheek. I felt my face grow hot, and I covered the moment by taking a gulp of his beer.

"You're late." He whispered, his breath warm against my ear. I shivered.
"Well, Danie and I had an arguement."

I chanced another glance over at her. She was laughing loudly with Tre, his hand around her waist. I had little doubt that she was intentionally trying to make me jealous, and Tre was just drunk enough to suit her purposes. My eyes caught Mike's suddenly. His brow was furrowed in frown as he looked at me and Jordan. The warning there was clear. Don't fuck everything up.

"Is she after my blood?"

My eyes whipped back to Jordan, finding my face dangerously close to his. I was walking a dangerous line. So far, all of our careful flirting could be easily interpreted as the necessities of carrying on a conversation in a crowded bar. But one wrong move, a touch, a caress, a whisper, and everything would be out in the open and things would implode fantastically. Every second I spent with him was like a little game, seeing how far we could push each other before the inevitable happened.

"She's not after much, not yet. She's fed up, restless. After the whole hospital thing, and the band not playing shows, and our apartment being crap...she just wants more from me."
"Are you capable of giving it to her?"

It was an uncomfortably serious question, and one that I had no answer to. So I opted out.

"Oh, I can give it to her. I can give it to her all night long." I said with a wicked grin, shaking my hips suggestively.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Danica tense, Mike wince, and Tre fall off the barstool as she violently pulled away from him. And from the amused quirk of Jordan's lips, he saw all everything and found it all too amusing.

Danica burrowed suddenly into my side, arms around my waist, lips on my neck, all the while smiling like a Chesire cat at Jordan and saying in a sickeningly sweet voice, "So how've you been, Jordan?"

"I've been out and about. Becoming a tattoo artist."
"Oh?" I had to resist the urge to shake her off. It was hot in the bar as it was, and having her clinging to me like a wet blanket wasn't helping anything.
"Yeah. I'm starting at that little shop on Main Street. I can do you for free, if you want." He offered with a smirk.

I laughed loudly. But from the way Danica's eyes narrowed, I knew she recognized the double meaning in those words. Her fingernails dug into my hip.

"Nah, Jordan. I'd rather my boyfriend doesn't wind up with an unsightly blot of ink anywhere on his body. I like it the way it is."

And the moment she finished, she grabbed a hank of his hair and pulled my head down to plant a smacking kiss on me.

I heard Jordan's hurt laughter as if from the bottom of a roaring ocean. Mike was struggling with Tre, trying to get him to stand up straight, shrill giggles from some of the unnamed women, and Danica was touching me in ways that weren't entirely appropriate for public, and the only thing that came to my mind was a faint sense of humilitation and fury that she thought she could use me like this.

She pulled away, and I half expected to hear a sucking noise, like a plunger being removed from a toilet. My eyes found Jordan, and he shook his head slightly.

"Tre's just about ready to go." Mike annouced. Excellent timing, my Mike.
"Wonderful!" Jordan replied with a hollow laugh, and slapped his hands on the bar.

There was a small shuffle of people grabbing for coats, dropping dollars and coins on the bar, and the whole group fighting our way towards the door.

Danica was suddenly at Tre's side, helping Mike support him. I glared at her back, and when Jordan slipped his hand in mine, I didn't shake it off.