The Locker Wars

This Might Just Be a Waste of Time

“How long have you known?”

William slammed his palm on the table. He knew where to find Kirsten when he needed to; as in, was it ever hard to find Adele’s friends?

He slid into the seat next to her, his eyes wandering to the other people in the room. Kirsten continued flipping her book, ignoring the fact that William may have brought up something small and huge at the same time.

“You should be quiet, it’s a library, you know,” Kirsten informed. William rolled his eyes.

“Look, I’m not here to play games. I know that you know... something about me. Something that’s not true. So you should just spit it out before you go and gossip about it somewhere, therefore ruining my reputation—”

“I don’t gossip,” Kirsten looked up from her book. “What’s not to know about you? It’s simple psychology; haven’t you learned anything in class? You can tell me that you don’t like her, and it’ll be obvious that you do.”

“And how can you pick that out when nobody else can?” William narrowed his eyes.

Kirsten smirked. “Simple. You just have idiots for friends. Anyways, why do you think you have a chance with her anyways?”

“She talks to me.”

“Sometimes.”

William frowned. “You can’t tell her. I know, you’ll go all girly and shit and have a girly party with frilly pillows and a million cans of Coke and whatever else you do at sleepovers and stuff, and you’ll probably want to tell her, but you can’t. Got that?”

“Not my piece of information to give away.” Kirsten shrugged.

“Oh.” William got up to leave. It was almost too good to be true, trusting her friend like this. He verified in a shaky voice, “Are you sure you won’t tell?”

“You have her cat,” Kirsten laughed. “How can she guess when she’s still grieving?”

“Oh—Oh yeah,” William burst out into a nervous laugh. “Can you... can you not tell her, though? Like, you’re sure she won’t find out. Absolutely no cutting around the corner, like making her guess or something. Just... nothing.”

“Again, not my info to give away. Secret’s safe with me.” Kirsten nodded. “No go away. You’re disturbing other people in here.”

William lifted an eyebrow, but didn’t question any further. He knew that his secret could get out now, but he hoped with all his life that it wouldn’t.

* * *

Adele bit down on her lip, studying her friend carefully. It was lunch, and Kirsten hadn’t said anything yet. Especially since Adele had seen her talking with William in the library that morning. She knew that her friend had something to spill.

“What?” Kirsten questioned. Adele’s look grew hard.

“You know what,” Adele pouted. “You have something to tell me. Is it some attack? Did you try to make peace with him?”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about, Adele.” Kirsten laughed a little.

“You do! You do know something that I don’t!” Adele whined. “Oh, come on, are you going to tell me? Please? Please?”

“You overreact too much,” Kirsten scoffed. “And besides, I still don’t know what you’re talking about. Don’t freak out on me.”

“Fine,” Adele made a sour face, “I won’t tell you anything either.”

“Adele,” Riley sighed. “Shut up, will you.”

“I hate you guys sometimes,” Adele sighed, standing from the table, “I’m gonna go study for my Business in the library. Come find me if you want.”

“Adele,” Kirsten groaned. “Don’t be like that. I’m just not supposed to tell.”

“Why are you keeping secrets from me?” Adele asked, the stubborn tone taking on her voice. “I’m going.” And then she turned on her heel and left. Everybody else at the table rolled their eyes; of course they were used to Adele’s drama.

* * *

Across the lunch room, someone’s hazel eyes were watching the table, the table dubbed ‘geniuses only’. The table pretty much belonged to the group of girls who concentrated on their marks, and instead of being picked on, they were respected, and also feared.

William popped a potato chip in his mouth as he watched Adele stomp away from the table and away from her friends. Another fit?, he thought, and laughed to himself. He trailed his eyes back to his friends, who were talking about some concert.

“Dude, what the hell are you looking at?” Mike asked, punching William in the shoulder.

William only smiled, almost sort of shyly, keeping his mouth shut.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh jeez. I have something ~awesome planned for the next few, I promise.
To make up for the boring-ness.
<3 to readers, subscribers, and commenters.