The Locker Wars

Stupidity Once Again

Adele couldn’t go a few feet without seeing something with pink or red hearts on it. She knew what holiday was coming up: Valentine’s Day. But she didn’t really celebrate it. In her mind, love was something that she needed to dedicate her whole life to. Love was distracting. So, she didn’t really plan anything for the past years because exams and new semesters were always that time of year.

She was heading to World History class after lunch. It was one of the classes that she had been looking forward to since eleventh grade.

It was still before final bell, and Adele took a seat near the front. She’d sit with Riley, and then Skyler would be behind her. Skyler being the new boy who bumped into her and started a conversation from there, being nice with his adoring smile and an intellectual capacity at least twice of what Barrington High had ever seen. Though Adele didn’t compare grades just yet.

Unfortunately, William was in the class too. But he sat at the back, so Adele didn’t really need to talk to him or look at him or do any of those sorts.

Adele took out her textbook and started to read what the chapter was about. It was always better to get a head start while people were talking and just coming into the room. In fact, the people had even gotten over their making-fun-of-her stage; now they stared at her in awe and left her alone.

Someone tapped her shoulder and Adele looked up, shocked. Nobody showed up before final bell. Nobody.

“Hi,” Skyler greeted, his blonde hair falling into his sapphire eyes. “You come here often?”

Adele stared at him in awe as he set his books down at his own desk, but took the seat next to her. Nobody can have skin as perfect as that, Adele thought as she surveyed the light blush on his cheeks.

“Uh... uh... I’m studying a little,” Adele bit her lip, and gestured to her textbook. She tried to laugh nervously, but it was strange that someone like this could reduce her to a stuttering mess.

Skyler laughed. “Yeah, I can kind of see that. So what’s your average? I heard you’re the smartest kid in Barrington High.”

“Second smartest,” someone coughed as they walked into the room. They walked to the back where they slumped in their chair and let their books fall to the ground.

Adele ignored him.

“Who’s that?” Skyler asked with innocent, gleaming eyes.

A burp smelling of alcohol interrupted Adele’s response. Again, ignoring it, she leaned in, “The smartest kid at Barrington,” and then smirked.

Skyler turned to the kid sitting in the back. His eyes scanned the lanky figure with a mop of messy brown hair on his head, and hazel eyes that seemed to gravitate towards the girl at the front of the room.

“If he is, I wonder how he does it.” Skyler raised an eyebrow. “Doesn’t seem like a very bright kid to me.”

“Don’t know,” Adele shrugged.

They both turned around, continuing their conversation as William kept staring.

* * *

Jason let his friend lean on him as they walked towards his house. He shook his head, almost mentally chastising William for doing this.

“Getting drunk during school is so ninth grade, Bill,” Jason grunted as he shoved him to walk straight.

William groaned.

“Like... why, though? I’ve never seen you do this before, I mean, dude. Come on. You gotta maintain your image for those universities that you want to get into?” Jason pushed his friend again. “Or are you just being an ass for no reason? Partying because the war’s at a draw?”

William groaned again. Jason let go and let him trip and fall onto the snow.

“You’re fucking falling down! I can’t believe you,” Jason sighed. “You’re lucky you’re my friend.” He extended an arm to William, who only groaned for a third time.

“Leave me to die,” he whined, burying his face in the ice and snow. “I’ll fucking freeze.”

Jason tapped his foot for a second, and then shook his head, pulling his friend up. “You can’t, you have alcohol in your blood, and I thought you... never mind. I’ll let you sleep it off at my house, at least til my parents get home. God, Bill, you’re so stupid.”

William looked at his friend with tears in his eyes, “I am stupid.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This one is short.
But the next one is longer.
And I bet everyone hates me for what happened last chapter. :(
Ah well.
I still love you all though. <333
PS; finally saw the 'About A Girl' video. Made me think of this story. xD