The Locker Wars

So is this Heartbreak, or What?

William was pacing outside of the mall, waiting for Mike and Jason to show up.

He contemplated every single thought that he was going to tell them, avoiding one little bit of information for as long as he could. He wouldn’t tell them, no, because they’d either a) make him tell her or b) tell him to fuck off, because this war was all wasted.

In theory, well, if one was to think so at first, then yes, the war was a waste of time. But if one were to look at the underlying cause (and what a curious One they would be), then... it would all make sense. Even if it was in a violent way, or mean, or maybe just harshly hilarious.

Mike and Jason were suddenly walking toward him. William sighed. “Sorry. You didn’t have to skip.”

“Something’s up, bud,” Jason patted his friend on the back. “We’ll figure it out.”

I don’t want you to, William whined in his head. But he sulked, because his friends were determined to help and he couldn’t refuse after they’d skipped school for him, so he just kind of had to try to beat around the bush.

They went inside of the mall without saying anything to each other. Well, Mike and Jason just commented to themselves at how horrible Bill looked, how he looked so beaten up and tired and frustrated.

They weren’t used to seeing this type of Bill. Usually, he’d be lounging in his seat at the back of the room, eyeing other girls and winking back at them when they obviously showed interest. He had this confident air around him, and now, it was all breaking down, and they didn’t know why.

It took something big to break William Beckett, and Jason and Mike were going to have to find out.

* * *

After they sat down and ate (Jason and Mike left before they could eat lunch), and after William’s refusal of food, Jason and Mike decided to get down to business.

“What’s up so bad that you had to skip?” Mike asked timidly. He didn’t know if William wanted to tell them, or if they were going to get a ‘surprise attack’ when leading into the subject. But William only sighed.

“I don’t know.” William shrugged. “Confusion. I’m hating senior year right about now.”

“Why?” Jason raised his eyebrow. If anyone could take a bad day and turn it around to make it work out, it was William Beckett. He had the school at his fingertips.

“I...” William thought about it. I can’t tell them. I can’t tell them. He sighed, sinking lower into his chair. “I can’t.”

“Come on! It’s gotta be something good,” Jason waved his arms around, “I mean, something bad. Something that’s making you go all crazy, man.”

“Exactly,” William murmured.

“Well then?” Mike ushered. “What is it?”

William rested his elbows on the table and put his forehead in his hands. He groaned, as if it almost hurt him physically to tell them. “I’m so... stressed. There’s nothing to de-stress me. I mean, it’s writing, but I can’t do it anymore...”

“Why not?” Mike and Jason asked at the same time.

“Someone... took my notebook...” William grumbled.

Mike and Jason exchanged confused glances. “We’ll get you another one, dude?”

“Can’t.” William’s voice was hoarse. “It was all in there. I can’t start up again.”

Mike nodded, and they dropped the subject, sitting in silence. It was weird, for William to be this down. They’d seen him on bad days or whatever, but this side was something he’d never shown. Vulnerability. No hope. Not even the classic look in his eyes when he accomplished something.

“Is there... anything else bothering you?” Mike asked.

“It’s... ah... you know how the war’s on hold?” William’s eyes held a torn look. They drifted to look down at the table, trying to distract himself. It wasn’t working.

His friends were confused. Jason leaned forward, “Yeah, and probably will be for the rest of the semester. For the rest of our year or lives, maybe even.”

William groaned.

“Why?” Mike asked. “Bill, we’ve already won. Adele’s got nothing on you. Don’t even worry, it’s not like she’s going to get back at you suddenly.”

“That’s just it! That was a... de-stressor...” William almost whispered.

He looked up into the eyes of his friends, the people he’d trusted and who’d trusted him. He’d told them his secrets and they kept them safe, and he’d done the same for them. Why was it that this one little secret, the one that he brushed to the back of his mind, was trying to will its way out of his mind?

The plan was that nobody had to figure it out. It was just something that hung back and that he’d sometimes forgotten, but now? The idea was the most dominant in his brain, and he didn’t know who to tell. Who’d laugh at him or who’d console him, or tell him what to do.

This wasn’t right. He wasn’t ready to tell and they weren’t ready to know. Give it a few more months, William’s thoughts zoomed around his mind, at least we’ll be graduated at that time.

“I’m... I gotta go.” And with that, William stood up and sped off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oi, sorry for the wait.
I hope you all like this one. It's kind of... all over the place.
<33333
Thank you for reading :) :) :)
You guys are the best.