The Locker Wars

Realizations

Time passed and it was a ghost, creeping around and checking in on people.

It seemed that one could pass through Barrington High School and not suspect a thing wrong. To the left, one would see the smartest girl in school, smoking beside her boyfriend, a boy who seemed to get his looks from Greek gods. To the right in the library, there would be two girls shrugging about how their best friend changed.

One would see a tall, lanky figure, sitting at a table in the atrium, scribbling down words in a brand-new-looking notebook. He’d scratch everything out, and throw the book in the trash can. Across the hall, his friends would whisper about how nothing was right with him lately.

Upstairs, a ninth-grade boy would be reminiscing to his friends about how he had been part of the Locker Wars, a war that was now dead and gone. He’d tell them about the tasks he was set up to do, and then some lies.

One would only blink to this, and turn and leave the school. Nothing special there.

* * *

Outside, the world was transitioning from winter to spring. It was spitting rain, and the cold still nipped at toes. Inside of Adele’s house, though, she and Skyler were nice and warm.

By nice and warm, of course, it meant that they were kissing under a blanket after their movie had ended. And by warm, Adele figured that Skyler wanted something more than just kissing under a blanket and playing rebels.

Her breath hitched, and she shook her head, breaking the kiss. “What are you doing?”

“What do you mean?” Skyler’s gaze was innocent, a heated flame lighting his icy blue eyes. He still kept his hand where Adele didn’t want it.

“Stop it. I mean, I’m not ready. I don’t like that.” Adele pushed herself off of him, and turned towards the TV screen. “Want to put another movie on or something?”

“I’d rather not,” Skyler answered dryly. He turned her head with his hand. “I’d rather just sit here with you.”

Adele hated whatever he was doing. Using his charms, his good looks, sugarcoating the situation.

Why didn’t he just admit what he did?

Adele didn’t like it. She didn’t want sex. Sex was a distraction to school, a distraction from notes and studying. Besides, it caused a lot of risks and Adele just didn’t want them.

“Skyler,” Adele grumbled when he started kissing her neck again. She didn’t want him to do that; just pretend like it was okay when he was getting into a very serious manner. Sometimes it was like he wasn’t the person she liked anymore.

“I can’t help it, you know? You’re just so beautiful.”

Adele rolled her eyes, but Skyler couldn’t see.

“Movie.” Adele huffed. “I think we should watch a movie.”

Skyler made a small humming noise, but got up to pick out another movie. Adele sat on the couch, feeling completely dumbfounded.

* * *

William happened to be walking by the Bradlee house just as Mrs. Bradlee was struggling with grocery bags. He walked up to her, and offered his hand.

“Why, William, it’s so kind of you,” Mrs. Bradlee smiled. “I’ve got just a few more bags in the back of the car. Could you help me?”

William nodded, grabbing the bags that she had mentioned. He followed right behind her, sighing. His breath came out in small clouds, and Mrs. Bradlee only smiled while unlocking the door, “Don’t worry, dear. Why don’t I put on some hot chocolate on for you? Or would you like coffee?”

“No thanks,” William mumbled.

Mrs. Bradlee disagreed with his answer. “I won’t have that, William. You haven’t been over in ages! I’ll make you something to eat as well; and you can tell me all about what I’ve missed.”

William shrugged. Of course, this was where Adele got her attitude from. There was no arguing with Mrs. Bradlee.

“Adele?” Mrs. Bradlee called into her house as soon as she opened the door. William’s stomach dropped. Mrs. Bradlee didn’t notice his sudden frown, and called out once more as William’s stomach grew sick again, “Adele, are you with Skyler?”

Mrs. Bradlee flicked the switch for the hall lights. At once, Adele and Skyler were illuminated, sitting together on a couch. Their faces were red. So was William’s. He shouldn’t have been there.

“Well,” Mrs. Bradlee’s breath grew short. “Nice to see you, Skyler.” Skyler nodded.

“Hi,” William hummed. The word wasn’t even strong enough to leave his lips.

“William here was helping me with the groceries. I invited him in,” Mrs. Bradlee exclaimed. William’s grip tightened around the plastic bags full of food. “I hope you don’t mind me dropping in on your little movie day.”

“Nope,” Adele shrugged.

William’s eyes struggled to move towards her. When he gathered enough courage to look in her direction, he found that she was just whispering to Skyler. Then, her eyes caught on his—for one second. William’s gaze shifted somewhere else.

No, he wasn’t ready to look at her yet.
♠ ♠ ♠
OKAYSO
I was too excited and I updated like really quick. And it's fairly lengthy. I just don't want to study.
Your comments are AMAZINGGGGG.
<3 ILOVEYOUALL.
I can't calculate approximately when the end will be, but I'd say in a handful of chapters. Or a handful and a half. Or two. :D