The Locker Wars

Epic Confrontation

As soon as William and Mrs. Bradlee had disappeared into the kitchen, Skyler turned on Adele.

“You know him?” he asked.

“Yeah,” Adele shrugged. “Why’s it such a big deal?”

“It’s a pretty big deal.” Skyler folded his arms.

“Oh, like the biggest fucking deal in the world?” Adele breathed in, and it seemed like she was beginning to realize what was going on. “Why? It’s not like we went out. I totally hated him.”

“You say hated.”

“Who gives a fuck about my tenses? You’re one to talk, you know, eighty-three average in English.”

Skyler weaved his blond eyebrows together. “Okay, so what? Sorry I’m not even the dumbest kid in school. You seem to like those below you.”

“What the hell are you talking about? Okay, can you like, get out? Get the fuck out of my house?” Adele pointed to the door. “If you’re going to be like that.”

“What?!” Skyler was surprised. “I’m like this, but you get to be all controlling? Since when were you like this? Huh?” Adele still pointed to the door. “Fine, you know.”

As soon as Skyler had left, Adele plopped down onto the bed. Since when had Skyler been such an asshole? Or, since when did she noticing it?

A part of her craved to go into the kitchen. But she didn’t know whether she was even allowed to, considering William might like, maybe yell at her or something. Or if she was even ready to face him at all.

She took a breath, got up, and walked into the kitchen.

William was seated at the kitchen table, his coat off, and sipping a mug of steaming hot chocolate. As soon as she had come in, his eyes darted outside. She found herself staring at her mom instead.

“Skyler left. He was being an asshole.”

“Adele!” Mrs. Bradlee sighed. “Watch your language. I’m serious, young lady.”

Adele bit her lip. William wouldn’t look at her. Why was there this sudden desire for attention from him? Was it because she went without it so long? As in, her mind rationalized, she loved fighting with him?

William stood up from the table slowly. The chair screeched across the tile. His legs looked so frail, almost as if they wouldn’t hold his body up. Again, his eyes fell to the floor.

“I think I should, um, be going, Mrs. Bradlee,” William mumbled. He took his jacket and slid his arm through a sleeve.

“Nonsense! You just got here.” Mrs. Bradlee was confused. “Your mother wouldn’t mind, I’m sure of it.”

Adele watched his eyes. They wouldn’t meet with hers. They darted to everywhere but her own eyes. Did her mom notice that too?

“I... I promised my dad I’d do some chores, and I, um, have to do them.”

“Why don’t I just invite you over for dinner tonight? I’ll call your parents—”

“It’s okay, Mrs. B. I’ll just go, you know, I don’t want to intrude.”

Adele was growing impatient. She felt her fists tighten at her sides, and she was wondering why William Beckett, Mr. High-and-Mighty in school, was suddenly being a coward.

“What’s wrong with you?!” Adele burst out.

William stopped fumbling with his jacket. When his eyes met hers, they grew wide. He gulped, tapping his fingers on the table. They made a hollow sound.

“I think I should go,” William concluded. He nodded towards Mrs. Bradlee, and walked past Adele without a word. Only a brush of shoulder. But it wasn’t enough attention.

Adele turned her head, but William was already halfway out the front door. She watched him give a little wave, and then shuffle outside. The door closed with a ‘click’, and Adele turned to her mother with a weird expression on her face.

“Something wrong?” Mrs. Bradlee asked her daughter.

“No,” Adele mumbled as she started towards her bedroom upstairs. “I mean, I don’t think so...”
♠ ♠ ♠
So it wasn't really epic. Or was it?
You decide!~
Haha.
<3