The Locker Wars

Like That

Adele moped inside her bedroom for the next few days. Her thoughts seemed detached from herself. What had she thought when she watched William Beckett on stage?

Was she the only one to exclaim, “But it’s Beckett, for Pete’s sakes!”?

Maybe so, maybe so. But it still didn’t get her mind off of him. She knew what she’d felt when she saw him in a different light. Or maybe it wasn’t so different, maybe she was just seeing him for the first time. Since when had she really taken a good look to William Beckett anyways?

She felt like picking up the phone and calling someone. But who? She didn’t know who to talk to in... this kind of situation. She had no friends, really. And she didn’t want to talk to Beckett.

Hours passed by, and she watched the clock until it went past midnight. She sighed and flopped down on her bed.

* * *

The next day, Adele gritted her teeth as she walked into school late. She’d never received a late slip in her life (besides ones for early dentist appointments). And she didn’t know what to do with it.

She got changed for PE and started running the laps that they did every morning. She didn’t bother to catch up to everyone else as they headed outside and around the school. Instead she showed up in the middle of the lesson.

“Miss Bradlee,” the coach shook her head at her slowly, “Sit down and join us. I was just in the middle of explaining what we’re doing today.”

“Great,” Adele muttered.

“As I was saying, the guy’s coach and I have had this argument ever since we started teaching: which gender is better at dodge ball? So, we’re going to be doing a joint lesson with the guys today.”

Adele smacked herself. But she was in the back, so no one could see her. And as soon as the instructions had been given, she lined up with the girls on one side of the gym. The guys were all lined up on the other side, and the dodge balls were all lined up in the middle. As soon as the whistle was blown, some girls sprinted up to play, and Adele just stood there awkwardly, eyeing William Beckett a few times.

Adele just went to the bench on the side of the gym and sat down. She didn’t feel like participating, which would definitely bring down her mark.

All of a sudden Riley came running over to her. She sat down on the bench.

“Guys suck and throw too hard,” Riley panted with a slight smile on her face. “What’s up? You okay? I saw you come in late, and... I’m not really supposed to be nice but you look really down.”

Adele shrugged. “Life sucks right now.”

“You should think of apologizing to some people, maybe,” Riley shrugged before the girl team cheered. “Hey, all the girl players are allowed back in the game. Wanna come?”

“No.” Adele folded her arms. “Can I call you later or something?”

“Sure,” Riley smiled before running off. Riley actually liked sports and Adele didn’t. So later would be good.

* * *

Adele was pacing again. Ever since she’d accidentally brushed up against William in the hustle and bustle of the end of school time, she couldn’t help but think again. And not just specifically to him, but to everything. Like all of a sudden everything was different.

She paced all the way up and down her room, turning over notes and fixing small things like the order of books in her bookcase, or alphabetizing the CD’s in her CD collection. She even fixed her bed and unfixed it and then threw her pillows in the floor and collapsed on them.

She grabbed the phone and rapidly dialed Riley’s number. She didn’t even wait for a “hello” before she started talking.

“I’m so confused,” she whined. “Riley, like, you don’t even know.”

“I just wanted to tell you, like, I was talking to Jason, or wait, who was it? During Bio the other day... Yeah, it was him. Well, I heard that William was like, I dunno, performing at one of his shows, and he totally hinted that he likes you! He likes you! Isn’t that crazy?” Riley’s words were getting all jumbled.

“Riley,” Adele groaned. “Don’t lie to me. Please.”

“Oh don’t give that ‘We’re enemies and I hate him!’ shit,” Riley sighed.

“No... because... you know, I think I might like him. Like him like that,” Adele gulped, and hung up.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this is like... I dunno, I feel as if I'm losing readers. Tell me if something's wrong. Pleeeease. I'd hate it if you stopped reading for some reason that I didn't notice.

And for those of you I have to comment to tell you I updated, sorry I forgot to last time.

<3