The Locker Wars

Fail (Thumbs Down)

The plan wasn’t working.

“Adele!” Riley called across the atrium. She sat in the booth for the prom tickets, trying to wave her friend over. “Look, Adele! Wanna go? You don’t have to pay much!”

Adele only ignored her and started to walk faster.

She didn’t understand what had gotten into her friends lately. Wanting her to go out and do stuff. It all started like what, a week and a half ago? And they wouldn’t quit, even when she rejected the invitations a million times. Just like prom. How many times had she told them that she wasn’t going? Oh, just 42...

She turned the corner to go to her locker, but William was there at his. He seemed to be waiting. Not for her, of course, Adele thought in the back of her mind.

“Adele!” All of a sudden she heard Kirsten and felt Kirsten’s arm on her shoulder, pushing her towards her locker. “Didn’t you say that you had that book of mine? Is it in your locker? Well. I think you should put your bag and books away and stuff.”

“No, thanks.” Adele resisted as much as she could, sliding her feet on the tile, potentially ruining her shoes, but still. “I have your book in my bag right now, Kirsten. Just a sec!”

“Let’s get it at your locker, you have a mirror in there and I don’t think I look good!” Kirsten nearly yelled.

Adele grunted, keeping her hold against her friend’s shoving. “Could... you... stop?” She broke free of Kirsten’s pushing and her bag, along with her books, skidded across the floor. “Oh, great.”

Her books stopped right by her locker anyways. Adele and Kirsten waited silently. And then they watched as William Beckett looked at them, bent down to pick all of them up, and then stack them on the floor by Adele’s locker.

Adele didn’t move. It was as if her feet were planted to the tiles.

“Aren’t you...” Kirsten started, but didn’t end up finishing her sentence.

“Nah.” Adele kind of shrugged, and stepped back a little. “Nobody’s gonna take them.”

Just then William checked his watch, sighed, and started walking the opposite way down the hallway. Adele, a little defeated, went and picked her books up, opened her locker, and shoved them in there.

“Thanks,” Adele muttered before walking away, leaving Kirsten standing there.

* * *

Later that day, Riley and Kirsten tried again. And this time, they pulled Adele behind the booth, hoping that making her sell tickets would tempt her.

“Isn’t this exciting?” Riley asked. She waved down a few people and managed to make them buy tickets. Adele just sat there, saying nothing.

“Why, if it isn’t Jason and William! Fancy seeing you guys here!” Riley tried to say cheerily, without her fake voice. “Well, what can I get you?”

“Two tickets.” Jason’s mouth twitched. He was trying not to laugh.

Riley started pulling out lists and the box of money and tickets. “So, you two going?”

“Oh, no,” Jason waved his hand about dramatically, shaking his head and rolling his eyes. “William’s not convinced here. I’m... uh... going on a date.”

“Why not, William? It’s not even that much this year.” Riley shrugged, taking Jason’s money. “I mean, come on! One night of fun, fun, fun!”

“I think I’ll pass,” William mumbled shyly, glancing everywhere in the atrium but to the place beside Riley.

“Hey, Adele, I didn’t know you were on the Prom committee,” Jason gestured to Adele. He smiled widely.

“I’m not, really,” Adele shrugged. “Not going to Prom. Studying. Gotta study.”

“I... see...” Jason trailed off. “Well, I think you should go to Prom. Experiences, eh?”

Adele looked up. “I don’t think I want those typed of experiences, thank you very much, Jason.”

“Oh, I didn’t mean—!”

“Hey man.” William moved across the atrium to high-five someone.

“Bye,” Jason mumbled in a flat voice, taking his tickets and following William. He turned to raise his eyebrows at Riley, who only shrugged back.

“Something’s up.” Adele stood up and tucked her chair into the table. “I don’t even know what the hell’s going on, but lay off of me, okay? I don’t want a date to Prom, and furthermore, I don’t even want to go to Prom. I’m staying home studying and reading.”

Adele stormed off, and Kirsten turned to Riley.

“Plan B?”
♠ ♠ ♠
:]]
I just looked over the summary, and holy WOAH, I'm on chapter 42.
I guess it hasn't sunken in yet. o.O
I love all of you who have stuck through with this. I hope you don't hate me (too much) for stalling on the "William and Adele action".
xD