Paper Planes

One

*So, it's all gonna be narrated in English, of course, but when people are speaking, in English it's kind of hard for her to understand. I'll give her background, too.*

I stepped off the ship. Into America. Into my new life.

I saw my cousin, Vera, and who I assumed to be her family. She moved here from Russia eight years ago with her husband. I wasn't as lucky. I've lived with my father in Azerbaijan most of my life. The turmoil there has been crazy, but I've just been lucky enough to get here.

"Padma! It's so good to see you!" She cried out, embracing me in a hug.

"It's nice to see you again," her husband Rob said. I've met him before. They met in Russia where he was studying.

"These are our children, Maya and Dmetri."

Maya was small, maybe five. Dmetri looked around fourteen and he was taller than me. It's not too hard, though. I turned 18 two days ago, and I'm only 5'3''.

"It's very nice to meet you two." They just smiled at me.

"Their Russian is rough. We don't really speak it at home," she explained to me.

"Good to meet you," I tried in English.

"Good to meet you, too," they both replied.

On the car ride back to their house we caught up with each other. Once we were back to their house and their kids were up stairs, we started talking about what was important.

She explained that I would be getting married to Rob's best friend's younger brother. He's 22. Rob said nothing but the best about him. What worried me was Vera's hesitation with her compliments. I'm going to bed right now, but I meet him tomorrow.
♠ ♠ ♠
Like? No?