Paper Planes

Thirteen

"So you have to get married before the new year. Which means a wedding in December. Which means it will be cold," Vera said. "Unless we have a wedding somewhere warm. Like Hawaii!"

"Vera, I don't think Padma wants to make a big deal out of this," Rob said.

"Well, a girl only gets one wedding. Of course she wants a big deal."

"I just don't think it would be fitting or proper to make it seem like that."

"Make it seem like what? All I know is we have two months until her perfect beach wedding."

"Vera, don't go over the top."

"Don't ruin my fun. Padma, I'll start looking for places in Hawaii. Tucker, are you okay with that?"

"Yeah, that's cool," Tucker said.

Padma ran off to go use her computer and Rob smiled at us and went after her.

"I guess it is okay with me too," I said.

Tucker laughed.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing. It's just, in that entire time, the first time we've started planning the... wedding, there was a conversation between Vera, Rob, and I offered one line. You didn't say anything."

"So?"

"Well it's just ironic. Most girls plan their... wedding."

"Is Hawaii nice?"

"Yeah."

"Do you like it?"

"I've never been."

"What is it?"

"It's a state. Like an island state. Off the coast of America. It's like a beach. It's supposed to be pretty."

"Is it far?"

He laughed. "A little."

"Well I am sure it'll be just perfect. And I am sure that Vera will let me make some decisions."

Just then Vera came bounding through the door, papers in hand and phone attached to her ear. "I found a place! They're on the phone now. I need a yes or a no. December 18th. Exactly two months from today."

I looked at Tucker. If I could read minds, I'm sure it would be screaming the same thing as his face. I looked down and sighed.

"I don't know, Vera," I said. "That seems like it is a little soon."

"Well, honey, your Visa runs out in two months."

I bit my lip and looked up at Tucker. He nodded. "That sounds good. Thank you Vera."

Her smile faltered. "I... Yes, we'll take it," she said, a little less excited than before. She walked into the other room to figure out the details.

"So do you know how weddings work?" he asked me.

"Well, I'm sure they are different where I lived than they are here."

"Yeah. We have to get started soon. We need invitations, and you need a dress, and we need a caterer, and like, plates and stuff. And other stuff."

"Well, I guess we should start with a guest list. I will not be inviting anyone except Vera, I guess."

"Well, I don't know if we wanna big wedding. It'll be my closer family. And some of my friends."

"Does your family know?" I asked after a minute.

"I mean, not the situation. They know about us. When Vera made the arrangements, I told them that we'd been dating for a while. I need to call my mom and tell her we're engaged."

He left the room, remembering he needed to call her.

I sat alone, guilt-ridden. I closed my eyes and sighed.

"Sweetheart, what's wrong?" Vera said.

I looked up. "Nothing. Everything is perfect, thank you."

"Don't lie to me," she said, dropping the English.

I sighed again. "I just feel bad. Like I'm forcing Tucker into this awful future with me."

"It's not a future, sweetheart. You don't even have to live together after it's done. Just wait a while until you get your official citizenship, file for divorce under mutual differences or something, then get on with life."

"Okay. You are right. So Tucker said that there are plans we need to make."

"Woah, I heard my name. English please," he said.

"We were just talking about wedding plans. What did you tell her about weddings over here?" she asked.

"I don't know, like dresses and cakes and silverware and stuff."

"Do you want an American wedding?" Vera asked. "An American styled wedding?"

"Yes, sure."

"Okay, well we're going to need to start today," she said looking at her watch. "There's this fabulous dress shop in town. Right next to a store I know makes custom invitations. Food is no problem. The place you're holding your wedding at is a resort hotel. They have weddings and wedding parties. They do their own catering. We have to get in touch to pick what they will do and talk to someone to make a cake. They have 'silverware and stuff' also."

I giggled. "Tucker, will you come into town with us," I said to him, pleading with my eyes.

"Sure," he said. "I'll plan out my guestlist while you guys do... wedding things."

An hour later, I was being fit into tight white dresses and Tucker had three pages of guests.

"Okay, this is how we will do it," I said, finally getting tired with the dress. "Tucker, close family, your parents and siblings. Your grandparents. Your favorite uncle. Your close friends. Okay?"

He stopped, a little taken aback. "Okay."

"And Vera, I'm not buying this dress. Or anyone like it." I sighed and looked around. I opened up. "That one." I said, pointing to a dress hanging up. It was small. Well, not big. Or poofy. It was simple. Like a simple dress. "That one."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Tucker smirk while Vera grabbed the dress. He got up to follow us into the dressing room.

"Tucker, you have not seen me naked yet, do you think it will start now?"

"Actually..." he said, then trailed off. "Nevermind. Let me go finish my list."
♠ ♠ ♠
In the boonies with the family stealing wifi! =]