Paper Planes

Four

I woke up to the television on. “And in further news, the state of the Iraqi—“ someone shut it off. I sat up and yawned.

That’s when I remembered how little I was wearing, and where I was. I reached for the blanket that had fallen on the floor while I was sleeping and covered myself. “Coffee?” he asked.

I blushed when I saw him sitting on the other side of the couch. I hadn’t even noticed.

“Um, no.”

We sat in silence as I looked forward. He’d turned the TV back on, and they were displaying the local news.

“You’re pretty quiet.”

I looked at him. “Is… is it appropriate for me to be dressed like this?”

He looked at me and started laughing. Really hard.

I frowned. “I’m not used to American customs, and I’d appreciate it if you refrained from laughing at me.”

He shook his head and set his coffee cup down, standing up to get to the kitchen. “I don’t know how to cook, but I have some cereal. Or oranges. Do you like oranges? Your cousin said you did.”

I nodded and followed him, grabbing an orange. I peeled it and leaned against the counter. He stared at me from the other side. I looked down in embarrassment.

“Why do you always do that?” he asked.

“Do what?”

“Look down like that. Whenever I look at you, you look down. Am I not supposed to?”

“I’m sorry.”

“No, it’s cool. But, like, are you embarrassed?” he asked.

“Embarassed?” I asked, translating the English word in my head. “Oh, no. It’s just… I’m not used to men looking at me. Well, at least when I’m so naked.”

He laughed again. “I’m sorry.” He downed the rest of his cup. “Alright, I’ve got to get to work. You can clean or call your cousin. You remember how to use the phone?” I nodded. “Good. If you cook, you can go get some food. I left some money on the dresser. And my credit card, but just watch how much you use on that. Well, I’m sure Vera’s got it. I’ll see you later,” he said, grabbing his keys and walking out.

I finished my breakfast, cleaned up the kitchen, and headed out to clean up my beddings. I looked around. It was… pretty untidy. I cleaned it up a bit, which ended up taking a few hours, then took a shower. When I was done, I called Vera.

“Hey, honey, how is it so far?” she asked.

“Good. I was wondering if you could take me grocery shopping?” I asked her.

“Sure. I’m actually right near you right now doing a little shopping. I figured you’d call. I’ll be there in twenty minutes.”

I bid her goodbye and readied myself.

She took me to the grocery store and I bought real food. Chicken, vegetables, rice. It was an experience having it all ready. I guess they just cut the chickens in the back and package them there. It seems like a waste of time not to just have them do it there.

I gathered my belongings and we ‘checked out’ all at once. We have grocery stores, but I usually just go to the market. My family has always been traditional.

“Thank you very much for taking me, today.” I said.

“Sure thing. Are you hungry?” she asked.

“I think I’ll go for a home-cooked meal. Will you come and teach me American cooking?”

“Yeah. I know a few things. We’ve had Tucker over, and he likes our food, too, though. Has he been nice?”

I nodded.

“Where did you sleep last night?”

“He said I could take the bed or the couch. I took the couch.”

She looked a little taken aback. “Wow, I’m surprised he offered you the bed.”

That comment frightened me. “I had to sleep in the clothes you gave me last night.”

She looked confused for a second, then laughed. “Oh, you’re not used to sleeping in clothes like that, huh? Or being around other people, I guess, is more like it.”

“No. I asked him if he thought it was inappropriate.”

She laughed. “What did he do?”

“The same thing you did,” I said, smiling. We carried the groceries in and started putting them away.

“Well, tomorrow, I can take you shopping, if you want. So you can get some more clothes.”

“I have little money,” I said. “I need to get a job.”

She shook her head. “Consider it a welcoming present. I’m sure Tucker will pitch in, also.”

I smiled, really appreciating this opportunity. “Thanks again,” I said to her. “For all of this.”

She stopped putting the bread up and smiled at me. “Your welcome,” she said, thoughtfully.
♠ ♠ ♠
i put up two today.

i'm getting a lot done with it, actually.

comment?