It Don't Matter When I'm Coming Home To You

Something Else Interesting?

I must look like a right loner standing here in this airport as families rush past, collecting their luggage and claiming hire cars. So why am I just standing here? I’m waiting for a girl I met when I was fifteen, I’m keeping a promise.

I’d grown bored of standing up so I backed up to the nearest wall and slid down it to the floor. I reached into the pocket of my hoodie and retrieved my IPod. Placing the headphones in my ears, I scrolled through the list and chose a song, causing the soothing voice of M Shadows to radiate through my head. The song was barely halfway through when someone
started talking to me.

“Y’know, when you’re waiting for someone, you should stand up so they can see you. And, if you’re gonna listen to Avenged Sevenfold, at least have it loud enough so I can hear it too!”

The second part of the person’s sentence attracted my attention. As I looked up I saw a girl with red hair looking down at me, her expression laced with confusion.

“Jenn, why the fuck are you sitting on the floor?” She asked me, my memory suddenly springing into action and recognising the girl towering over me.

“OHMIGOD! YOU’RE HERE! When did your flight arrive?” I exclaimed, jumping up and hugging her.

“About twenty minutes ago. Looks like you got bored waiting for me.” She laughed.

“Nahh, I just got bored of the funny looks people were giving me so I retreated into the background.” I told her, laughing slightly.

“Trust you. Can we get outta here please? I’ve already spent most of my day in airports and on planes and, to be honest, I don’t want to spend anymore time in here than necessary.” She begged as we started making our way towards the exit and my car.

***

Today’s the day. The day that we had been planning since we were fifteen and that we only longed for but never thought it would happen. But it did. I became a vet and moved to Huntington Beach. Today, two people would be coming into my practise. The two people who were amongst the reasons why I had become a vet in the first place.

I walked into my kitchen and, much to my surprise, found Layla sitting there, cup off coffee in hand.

“Hey Jenn! I would have woke you but, I’ve been awake all night ‘cause of the time zone differences and jet lag and it kinda slipped my mind.” She apologised.

“It’s okay Leigh. You may wanna drink rather a lot of coffee though.” I told her.

“Errm, why? Oh wait, dumb question! IT’S TODAY!” She exclaimed.

“YEAH! Now come on! We’ve got an hour before we’ve gotta be there, so we’ve gotta get ready!” I said, grabbing her arm and dragging her back up the stairs.

I was standing in the door way for a few minutes, watching her search through her bags frantically before I said anything.

“Y’know how funny you look right now?”

“Yes I do, but I can’t find my necklace!” She exclaimed without looking up from the bag she was searching through.

“Which necklace? There’s one on the dresser.” I pointed out. She looked away from the bag and saw what I was talking about.

“So I’ve been searching through these bags for no reason? Great!” She laughed, walking over to the dresser and picking up the necklace, which looked like it had a deathbat on it.

“Now you’re done? Let’s go!”

***

I was sat on the reception desk with my back to the door seeing as Layla had taken the chair. We had my IPod attached to the speakers so that we could sing along whilst waiting.

As the last notes of the organ finished playing I began to sing, with Layla continuing after me:

“Shhh… quiet you might piss somebody off.”

“Like me motherfucker you've been at it for too long,
While you feed off others' insecurities,
You stand in front of me and bite the hand that feeds.”

“Self-righteousness is wearing thin.”

“Lies inside your head, your best friend.”

“Heart bleeds but not for fellow men.”

“Broken glass, your fake reflection.”

“I've had enough ,
It's time for something real,
I don't respect the words you're speaking,
Gone too far ,
A clone.”

We didn’t get a chance to continue as I heard a voice emit from behind me:

“We’re not interrupting anything are we?”

I slid off the desk and turned around, seeing the two people this was all planned for.

“No, sorry. We got a bit carried away there. Can I help you?” Layla apologised innocently.

“English receptionist and Canadian vet! I don’t think we need anymore help!” The man with the snakebites exclaimed.

“Yeah, I think we booked appointments.” The man with the fedora said, ignoring his friend’s comment.

“Okay, names please?” She asked them, not needing names but not wanting to seem like a groupie.

“Ichabod and Pinkly.” The guy with the snakebites told her.

“Surnames please?” She didn’t need the surnames either but this had to seem unplanned.

“Baker and Haner.” The guy with the snakebites said, continuing his previous sentence.

“Okay, it says here that Ichabod’s appointment is first so if you could both sit down, Miss Dula will be with you shortly.” She said as they walked over to the seats and sat down.

“Have fun in there.” She whispered to me.

“Oh don’t worry, I will.” I replied as I made my way out from behind the desk and summoned the man holding Ichabod into the examination room.

***

I followed the man with the fedora out of the room after I had finished examining Pinkly.

“Everything’s fine. Just bring them back once every six months or something like that for a check up.” I told the two men.

“Thanks. Do you two wanna meet up later and we’ll show you around the area ‘cause neither of you are actually from here and you probably don’t know where all the best places to hang are.” The shorter man asked us.

“Yeah, that’d be awesome. We’ll see you later. About sixish?” I enquired.

“Sure. We’ll see you then.” He replied.

After they had walked out of the door, we both started jumping up and down, screaming with excitement.

“Ohmigod!” I shouted, suddenly realising.

“What?!”

“I’ve gotta get changed!” I exclaimed, pulling Layla out of the door and running back towards my house.

Two hours later, we were sitting there waiting for them to arrive whilst a nervous silence consumed our thoughts. The sound of the door bell soon broke that silence. We jumped up, composed ourselves and walked to the door. I opened it to find five people standing on the doorstep.

“You two ready for a fun night?” The tallest guy asked, and we both nodded in anticipation.

After we had all piled into the car, the short guy started to speak.

“Riiight, seeing as these guys,” He paused, motioning to the people we had seen the vets surgery earlier, “Just decided to pull us into this whole showing around thing, I think introductions may be a good idea.”

“Johnny? Do you feel okay? You just said something intelligent!” The guy with the fedora laughed.

“I feel fine thank you very much! But introductions, I’m Johnny and here we have Zacky, Brian, Matt and Jimmy.” The short guy said, motioning to each person as he said it.

“Awesome! I’m Layla and I’m currently in the command of the loverly Canadian who is known as Jenn.” Layla giggled.

“In her command? Sounds kinda kinky.” Zacky laughed.

“Yeah completely unkinky, I’m living in her house and working as her receptionist so yeah, I’m in her command.” She told them.

“Damn, that would have been interesting.” Jimmy mused.

“I can show you something else that’s interesting.” I leaned over and whispered into his ear.