Sequel: Whispered Memories

Screaming Dreams

Chapter Twelve.

The Wedding.

I looked like a princess, better than a princess, in my designer gown that fit my body like a glove. But, on the inside I felt like the ugliest person in the world. I hadn't been able to restrain my tears since I found out what happened to Edward. And now, I was being forced to marry a man I did not love and felt like I could not ever love.

My father entered my dressing room a few minutes before I was supposed to walk down the aisle, straight to hell. He comforted me, telling me that it was a wonderful thing I was doing, and that I might not appreciate it now, but later on in life I could not be happier about what I was about to do. He was right, in some ways, but also terribly wrong. I knew that no matter how much time had passed, or how happy I was in my life, I would never be able to forget about Edward. Even if I didn't acknowledge him in my memories, he would always be in the back of mind, threatening to break through the barrier I was trying to build up.

After a few more minutes of silent tears and comforting words, I stood up and took my father's arm. We walked to the door of the chapel and waited for the bridal march to begin playing. As soon as the first chord filled the room, we started moving.

A million and one emotions flooded through me as I stared into each face in the crowd while I walked down the empty space between the pews. I felt like my life was spiraling downward, in a way that I could not control. With every step I took closer to Arthur, I felt like it was a step closer to plummeting off of a cliff into a bottomless pit. Another round of tears streamed down my face, following the path of recent ones.

To my right, my father patted my arm gently. "It's okay, sweetheart," he murmured.

I turned to him and tried to smile. I imagine it looked like a strange grimace.

By this time, we were at the altar. The preacher said a few words to my father, and he released me. Arthur was there as soon as my father let me go, grabbing my arm and gently pulling me to the altar.

The preacher spoke in a loud, sure voice. Though, I didn't hear a word of it. I was too far gone to notice anything around me. So, I stood there like a doll, brainless and lifeless.

I was brought out of my trance-like state when Arthur gently tugged at my arm. "Amelia, are you okay?" he asked.

I looked at him and nodded. I then looked at the preacher, who was watching me intently. Arthur nodded at him from beside me and the preacher cleared his throat.

"Do you, Amelia Rae Collier, take Arthur Russell Johnson to be your husband?" he said.

My heart raised into my throat, choking me. My stomach tightened, trying to push its contents into my mouth. My knees became weak and I felt like I was about to fall. The tears started to fall freely now, like a river flowing from eyes.

I stared into Arthur's strange golden eyes, trying to find my voice.

"I do," I whispered.