Sequel: Whispered Memories

Screaming Dreams

Chapter Seven.

With the holidays coming and going, Edward stayed busy at the shop. I couldn't spend every day in the park with him now. So, I spent the majority of my time alone. Sometimes I would go to the park and read. I also went Arthur's luxurious home more than necessary. He didn't seem to mind; he always welcomed me warmly. I assumed he was curious as to my behavior, but never once asked me. Instead, we discussed each other's lives and got to know each other very, very well.

He was born Arthur Russell Johnson on April sixteenth, 1894, just outside of Chicago. His parents, Russell and Savannah, were middle class workers raising three children. At the age of ten, his mother died, leaving his father to take care of him and his two younger sisters. Since he was the oldest, he helped his father take care of his siblings. When he turned 18, in 1912, he moved into the city and tried his hand at his own business. Almost six years later, his own bank business is booming, making him one of the wealthiest 24 year-olds in the country.

I felt sorry for him, yet I couldn't help but see how strong he was. I couldn't bare to lose one of my parents, especially at such a young age. And then to move on and own my own business. It was an amazing feat, in my opinion.

When we talked about my life, I felt very insignificant. I had done nothing of great importance. I was born in Chicago in 1901, Amelia Rae Collier, a healthy baby girl to a middle class family. I was an only child, and I lost the only grandparent I knew, my father's mother, when I was only four. Even then, it was nothing compared to losing a parent. However simple my life seemed to me, it greatly intrigued Arthur.

I had grown to like Arthur, almost as much as a bride-to-be should like the bridegroom. Of course, the attraction was no where near as strong as the one I held for Edward. Somewhere deep inside myself, I knew that no one could ever hold the desirability that Edward had.

I told myself that whatever Arthur and I had was blooming into a young romance, but it was no use lying. I knew that I would never have a love as strong as Edward's as long as I existed. But, I was fairly pleased that I liked my future husband as much as I did. I wouldn't mind marrying and reproducing -I shuddered at the thought- with Arthur. Nevertheless, there was one who I would have loved to have little children with. Maybe they would have that same odd bronze colored hair that their father had.

I smiled at myself. With the lack of Edward's presence, I had fallen back upon silly daydreams to get me by.

I had been tidying up my room, since it was in a horrible mess. I stopped, absentmindedly, when I began thinking of Edward and picturing what our children would look like; and what we would look like old and grey. It was very pleasant.

A little before dinner, my mother told me that she and my father were going out. She wanted to make sure I would be okay if they left me. I haven't the slightest clue why she checked; she's been leaving me by myself every now and then for about three years now. Even so, I told her I would finish organizing my room then eat. I was nearly seventeen; I could fend for myself in the kitchen.

My room was clean in no time. So, instead of digging through the kitchen and making a mess of dishes, I decided to go to the shop and try to find Edward. He should be getting off soon anyway, maybe he'd like to join me for dinner.

Around six, I left the house and headed to the store where Edward worked. I walked alone in the brightly lit city. Yet, it was somewhat peaceful watching the crowds and people busy themselves.

I walked into the store feeling hopeful. Maybe Edward would be able to get off of work and go out with me. We hadn't had much time since Christmas Day due to his working schedule.

Much to my dismay, Edward wasn't in the shop. I finally asked the manager where he was. He told me that Edward got off at six o'clock; that I just missed him. He also told me Edward's address, which I was thankful for. Though, no honorable businessman should give out that information. I guess he recognized me as one of Edward's friend and thought it harmless.

It started to snow lightly as I walked to 518 10th Ave. I wrapped my arms around me in hopes of warmth. My wool coat didn't do much good against the mid-January weather.

I stopped in front of the townhouse, wondering what I should do. The lights were on, so the family was home. But, what if Edward wasn't home, and it was just his family? I didn't want to look like a fool to Edward's parents.

Swallowing my pride, I marched up the snowy walk and knocked on the door. A middle-aged woman with the same bronze-colored hair Edward had answered the door. Her green eyes were gentle and welcoming.

"Hello, my name is Amelia," I started. "I was wondering if Edward was home. I'm a friend of his."

"Oh!" she exclaimed, recognition flashing across her peaceful face. "You're Amelia. My Edward speaks so fondly of you. Come in, please." She motioned for me to follow as she turned to walk into the house. "I'll call Edward. He'll be down in a moment."

I immediately felt a stab of guilt. I had not even mentioned Edward to my parents, let alone told them all about him. It made me feel horrid to know that he talked about me freely to his parents while I lied to mine like a coward.

Edward walked gracefully down the stairs and looked shocked to see me standing in his living room. He quickly walked over to me, smiling weakly.

"I'm sorry I haven't been able to be with you as much. Work is so demanding," he explained.

"It's okay. I just thought you might want to go out to eat with me tonight. I was free, and was going nowhere in particular, and I thought you might like to join me." I smiled at him. I had forgotten how beautiful he was and I was extremely happy that I could see him again.

His mother bustled in from what I guessed was the kitchen, holding a pot and a spoon. "Edward, dear, why don't you invite Amelia to eat with us? We have plenty of room." She winked at me and started to stir the contents of the pot.

Edward looked at his mother then back at me. "Do you want to?"

I smiled, delighted, "Of course."

Edward's mother, Elizabeth, smiled and walked back into the kitchen.

The night passed flawlessly. It was nice to have a normal night with Edward's family. His parents were almost as charming as he was and just as nice.

Edward walked me home, despite my constant protests. I made it before my parents, which was a very good thing. He left after promising me that we'd spend tomorrow together.

It was a perfect night.