Sequel: Whispered Memories

Screaming Dreams

Chapter Nine.

One the eighteenth of March, I woke up to my mother soothingly calling my name. "Amelia," she crooned, "Happy Birthday, dear."

I groaned and rolled over, pulling the heavy blanket over my head. It was a Saturday and I wanted to sleep late. I also wanted to skip my extravagant party, courtesy of Arthur, and spend the day with Edward. Nothing was ever over the top with Edward, and I liked that. Unlike Arthur, and his loads of money, who wanted to please my mother with her overdone event ideas.

"Please, wake up, darling. We must be at Arthur's at noon. I bought you this as a birthday present. And to wear today. It will look gorgeous with your skin." She pulled back my blanket and showed me a deep red gown. It had a deep V-neck and a small train.

"Thank you," I said enthusiastically.

"Anytime, Amelia. Now get ready," she ruffled my hair playfully and left the room.

I rolled out of my bed and examined my dress. It was beautiful, and my favorite color. I walked over to my floor length mirror and put the dress up against my body. It would have looked decent if the mass of hair on top of my head didn't resemble a haystack.

After making myself look presentable, I headed downstairs feeling like a princess in my gown. It felt so odd. I never really get dressed up for occasions, but this new gown made me feel like a porcelain doll. A beautiful porcelain doll that was soon to be separated from its original owner and given to a different one.

Arthur's mansion was nothing less than perfect, as I'd assumed. Decorations covered every inch of his spacious home. In the dining room, a three-tiered cake stood surrounded by boxes, no doubt containing presents.

"Happy Birthday!" Arthur and a few of my family members chorused as I walked in. I flushed, embarrassed. I never liked people going through a lot of trouble for me. Simple was always better, in my opinion. This was the farthest thing from simple.

Arthur approached me and pulled me into a hug. I shivered as his cool skin touched mine. He laughed at this and released me.

That's strange, I thought. Most people are warm, not cold. I shrugged it off as my family crowded around me, cheering and talking loudly, making it impossible to think.

The party went smoothly, despite my dismay. I was gracious to everyone for my gifts. And the cake was wonderful! Arthur had it made at the best bakery in all of Chicago. My mother was impressed.

When we arrived home, I tried to single-handedly carry my presents to my room, staggering under the many boxes. My father chuckled at me, grabbed an armful, and helped me to my room. After I put all of the presents away, I told my parents I was going to the park. I didn't tell them I had plans to meet Edward there.

I walked into Jackson Park feeling oddly excited. Immediately, I saw Edward waiting in our usual spot under the large oak tree. He was leaning against the tree, reading a book. The sunlight danced across his face in a heavenly way. The butterflies in my stomach fluttered about hopelessly.

Edward looked up from whatever book he was reading when he noticed me approaching. He smiled my favorite, crooked smile. The butterflies went into another frenzy.

"Happy Birthday," he said as I sat beside him.

I groaned. "I'm older than you now."

He scoffed, "You're right. I need to find someone new, someone younger to spend all my time with. You're too old." He faked a disgusted expression.

"Hmph."

"There's no one in this world that I'd rather spend my time with than you, even if you are old," he teased.

I playfully slapped at his arm. "You'll be old too one day. You just wait. You're not far behind me. And when you do get old and grey and have more hair in your ears than on your head, I'll be laughing at you."

He laughed a perfect laugh as I motioned to his ears. This sent me into a fit of giggles as well. The obnoxious noise caused an elderly couple to look at us curtly. This sent us both into another round of laughing.

Edward and I joked carelessly until the sun set behind the tall buildings, leaving the city in an orange haze. He walked me home, which I was thankful of, I didn't like being alone after dark. Chicago was a dangerous city and my mother never let me forget it. Also, walking with Edward was wonderful anyway.

I was sad when I left Edward a block from my house. I felt disappointed in myself for not telling my mother and my father of this wonderful, intriguing, charming, funny, and beautiful boy. Feeling more cowardly than ever, I walked into my house and went straight to bed, another year older.