Silence

Two.

Now I know what you might be thinking at this point. Why am I so irritable? The answer is, well, I can’t answer that. I just get very annoyed easily. Grayson was really wearing at my patience. After that first day of knowing him, I seemed to run into him almost every day at the same coffee shop, at the same time. Most women would find that possibly convenient. But, I’m not most women.

Every day, around ten or so, Grayson would walk in, order, and take the empty seat that sat across from my own. He would try to start a conversation, and I would eventually say something to appease him. I wouldn’t say much. I was too busy watching the world.

As time passed I began to wonder. Why was Grayson so interested in what I had to say? I wasn’t used to being asked questions. I wasn’t used to the attention that he gave me. It was very discomforting when he would ask something personal. Why does he want to know so much about me?

“Are you writing a book?” I asked as I turned to face him with a sigh.

“What?” his eyebrows raised in surprise.

“Why do you always ask so many questions? Why do you want to know my life story?” I gripped my tea cup firmly as I raised it to my lips.

“Why do you not talk? I think it’s because no one has ever listened before. And now that I’m here to actually listen, you’re scared.”

“I am not scared.” I corrected him.

“I’m sorry, that was out of line.” He apologized and ducked his head.

“It’s fine. I like the quiet. I never have anything to talk about. So don’t worry about me. No one has listened before. But I’m okay with that. I’ve never had anything worth saying.”

“So, you’ve never felt the need to shout your feelings? Never felt the need to scream out? You don’t sing out loud?” he asked.

“No.” I answered, shaking my head.

“So, you’ve never felt the need to do this?” he took in a deep breath. “This is the best damn coffee out there!” he shouted. I looked at him for a minute before speaking.

“No. I’ve never felt like making a complete ass of myself. I have to go now.” I stood up and started making my way toward the door.

“Adia, wait. I’m sorry if I embarrassed you.” Grayson was behind me.

“Don’t worry. I’m not the one who is embarrassed. Or that should be embarrassed.” I told him. I pushed the door opened and made my way to the curb to catch a cab. Before I had a chance to close the door, someone slid in beside me. It was, of course, Grayson.

“Where to?” the cab driver asked with a heavy Brooklyn accent. Before I had a chance to rattle off my address, Grayson rattled one off of his own.

“Where are you taking me?” I stared at him.

“It’s a secret.” He answered, looking out of his window. I sighed and turned to look out of my own window. Finally. Silence.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please, please, PLEASE leave me a comment with your thoughts on this story. I won't update until I get one.