Silence

Seven.

Much to the dismay of Grayson, The Bitter End was closed when we arrived. They'd had a fire and closed the place down just before we got there.

"Adia, I'm so sorry. I really wanted to make this night fun for you. I don't know what to do now." he apologized, looking into my eyes sorrowfully. Most women might feel bad. I'm not most women, but it made my heart fall a little. He was being serious.

"Wait, I know where to go!" he smiled, hailing another taxi.

Coney Island Batting Range and Go Kart City. We arrived in front of the place and I wondered why he brought me there of all places. I heard screaming from anxious little kids. It was a Wednesday night and it was cold and getting late. I couldn’t figure out why those kids were there.

“Let’s ride the Go Karts first!” Grayson yelled excitedly, grabbing my hand. He dragged me into the building to pay for entry and then onto the Go Kart tracks.

“Do you know what to do?” he asked me. I shook my head. The sound coming from the tiny carts was deafening.

“You can ride with me.” He told me, pushing me down into a double-seated cart. A man walked up and fastened my seat belt and Grayson hit the gas. I gripped the bars beside me and closed my eyes as Grayson drove around the track, laughing the entire time. I realized that it wasn’t bad. It had to be Grayson. So, when that was over, I told him I wanted to try it on my own.

“Are you sure?” he asked, obviously doubting me. I nodded my head and climbed into a single cart. After my seat belt was fastened, I hit the gas and suddenly, I was racing Grayson. The adrenaline rush was intense. I wanted to puke and laugh at the same time. This is what fun felt like? That’s what I had been missing my entire life?

Climbing in and out of the karts was very difficult. I mean, wearing a thigh length dress was hard enough and with the added difficulty of making sure no one could see up it as I drove a go kart made it very annoying.

"Putt-Putt." Grayson said when we finished with the go karts.

"Putt-Putt?"

"Yes. Come on." he grabbed my hand and pulled me to a booth. He grabbed two putters and two golf balls, one green and one purple.

Putt-Putt was really... annoying. I just couldn't get the hang of it. I guess I'm not talented enough for sports. It would take Grayson two tries to get his ball in the hole and it would take me around 14. I hated it.

"Do you want to go home now? If you don't, I have another place we can go." Grayson asked after we finished playing Putt-Putt.

"No, I'm ready to go home." I yawned. It was a very interesting day. I was ready to sleep.

"Ok, we'll go next time." Grayson told me. He put his arm around my shoulders and led me out into the cold once again. We found a cab and rode back to my apartment.

"Thanks." I said to Grayson as I got out of the taxi.

"For what?" he asked obliviously.

"For taking me there. I had fun." I admitted.

"Really?"

"Yes." I answered him. He smiled.

"Good night, Grayson."

"Night Adia." I closed the car door and walked up to my apartment building. I turned and watched the cab pull away from the curb and make it's way to Grayson's apartment.
♠ ♠ ♠
I turned in a shortened version of this story to my Creative Writing teacher. She gave me a perfect score and told me it was the best piece I've ever written. Needless to say, I was definitely excited.

This one is short, but I wanted to keep my promise. Sorry.