Status: Hiatus.

She Said, She Said

you're hurt, too many words

My eyes fluttered open, and the first thing I felt was pain. It was everywhere. I wanted to scream, I wanted to yell, but when I opened my mouth nothing came out. I felt like my head was going to explode. My eyes burned because of the bright white light that seemed to be everywhere. When I couldn't take it anymore, I squeezed my eyes shut and whimpered.

I heard footsteps approaching and then a cold hand touched my forehead. I didn't know who it was and I couldn't have cared less. I wanted to know what was going on. I was confused. Confused and in pain. Lots and lots of pain. Finally, I opened my eyes and the bright light stung my pupils, but I ignored it. Standing in front of me was a woman I had never seen before. She smiled at me.

"Hi. My name is Laura," she said, and it felt as if my ears were going to burst; she was talking so loud! "Nurse Laura," she explained after seeing the look on my face. I didn't reply. I couldn't. It pained me too much.

Sighing, she picked up something from the table beside the bed I was lying on, and brought it to eye level. I couldn't exactly see what it was. I tried to focus but ended up closing my eyes instead. And then I felt a sharp pain in my upper arm. I opened my mouth and screamed but no sound came out; the affliction had made my tongue swell up.

Suddenly, I felt drowsy. I realized I was tired. And exhausted. Letting out a weak sigh, I finally drifted off to sleep.

*

It was dark. Too dark. I couldn't see anything. I heard voices. Familiar voices. Hope bubbled up in the pit of my stomach and I took a step forward. Big mistake, I realized. I was falling. I didn't know where I was falling but I was falling. I screamed and I felt a sharp pain in my legs. I looked down at myself but couldn't see anything. It was absolutely pitch-black.

The feeling of my body being pulled by some gravitational force brought me back to my senses. I flailed my arms about but I couldn't grasp anything except air. It was too much. The longer I fell, more pain came along with it. I screamed and screamed and -


"Wake up, Valerie! It's okay, I'm here!" A voice yelled and I wanted to tell them to shut up. I opened my eyes and realized I was crying. Sobs racked my whole body and I fell back onto the soft pillow and wailed. Hands shook my shoulders and I realized they belonged to a woman.

She was chubby, with big hazel brown eyes, and long black hair. She was wearing simple jeans, and a plain white top. Her eyes were bloodshot and she looked at me with so much care in her eyes I was almost scared to talk to her. Then something dawned on me. I knew who it was. It was Aunt Debra, my mother's sister.

As soon as the word 'mother' came into my mind, memories of the accident seemed to force themselves into my head. The truck, Brandon, Sabrina, my mother's scream, my father's yell. It all came back to me. What had happened? Where were they? Were they okay? Was I okay?

A fresh set of tears ran down my face. Aunt Debra looked at me and I saw a tear slide down the side of her face. She sat on the edge of my bed, and pulled me close to her. As soon as she did, I felt a sharp pain at the back of my neck and everything, once again, went black.