Dance Instructor

Chapter Two.

“Okay, then it’s settled. Would you like to come upstairs and meet the band?” James asked me. I nodded.

We walked out of the small café and into a door that was next to it. The door led to a hallway which led to a small parking lot with a large bus in the middle with “Mindless Self Indulgence” plastered to the side. We walked up to it and James knocked on the small door. A pretty female answered the door.

“Hey, Lyn, this is Cyndi. She’s going to be choreographer for a couple songs. The girl nodded and smiled at me.

“Cool, I’m Lindsey. Welcome to Mindless Self Indulgence,” Lindsey laughed. I smiled as she ushered us in.

“Steve!” Lindsey called out as I entered the small tour bus. There was a girl sitting on one of the mini couches reading a magazine. A man walked out of a door in the small hallway and sat down near a small circular table.

“Cyndi, this is Steve,” she gestured to the man who’s beard resembled a goat. “And Jennifer. Of course, the fans call her Kitty,” she gestured to the girl. She smiled.

“Of course, you can too.”

“Guys, this is the dancer James told us about. Her name is Cyndi,” Lindsey introduced me. I smiled.

“So, where is James?” James asked.

“Right here,” a male voice said from behind me. I spun around and grinned. James was smiling widely.

“James, this is-” James began. James interrupted him.

“I know who she is. Wow, Cyndi, I haven’t seen you for years,” James stated.

“How much have I changed?” I asked, smiling.

“Hmm, I’m not sure. You’ve changed, but I would have recognized you if I saw you on the street,” he responded.

“Is that good?” I asked. He shrugged. I rolled my eyes and hugged him.

“I’ve missed you,” I said, my voice muffled.

“So, you two know each other?” the other James’ voice said from behind me. We broke apart and I faced him.

“Yeah,” James said, “we’ve know each other for… I can’t even remember. I’ce known her since I was fifteen.”

I sighed.

“What?” James asked.

I grinned. “I’m old!”

“Only two years younger than me,” James noted. Everyone gasped.

“Are you serious?” Jennifer spoke. I sighed and nodded.

“How old do I look?” I asked nervously.

“Twenty-six,” Steve said, eyes still popping out of his head. I scoffed. Instantly everyone tried to assure me. I smirked slightly and put my hands up in defence.

“Okay! I look twenty-six!” I laughed.

“So, what song did you have in mind for your dance?” Lindsey asked me. I opened my mouth as James’ cell rang.

“Yeah. Okay. But I’m-,” he sighed. “Okay. I’ll be there,” James Galus shut his phone and looked at us apologetically.

“Sorry guys, but my manager wants to talk with me,” he turned to me. “We’ll go over the contract and everything later.”

I nodded as he ‘vacated the premises’. James walked out from behind me and sat next to Jennifer.

“So, what song did you have in mind?” Lindsey repeated.

“I’m not quite sure. I was debating on Capitol P or Thank God. You guys can choose, if you want,” I told them. They nodded.

“I like Capitol P. That would be interesting to see in dance form,” James said. I raised my eyebrows.

“Hopefully not too interesting,” I laughed. They laughed as well. My phone started to ring. I pulled it out of my pocket and flipped it open.

“Hello?” I listened carefully. “Now? But I’m with people about… I don’t know, let me ask,” I held the phone away from my ear. “Would you guys be willing to come to the dance studio a couple blocks from here to watch me practise for something?”

They all nodded with some ‘yeah’ and ‘of course’ thrown in. I smiled and put the phone back to my ear. “We’ll be there.”

We arrived at the dance studio in fifteen minutes. I pushed open the door and climbed the stairs to the studio above. I heard Mindless follow me. I walked onto the floor and took off my shoes. I turned to face Mindless as they arrived on the floor.

“You guys can sit over there and watch,” I gestured to a small cushioned bench at the back of the room. They went to go sit down as I went into the back to grab my bag from my locker and change.

After I changed I walked back into the room, wearing a simple red shirt and shorts, my hair pinned up. Chris stopped the music as everyone greeted me.

I walked to the front as the girls went into their positions as the walked over to a wall. We stood still until he started singing.

“We’re doing Beep, okay? Five, six, five, six, seven, eight!” our hips started moving.

“One, two, three, down, five, six, seven, middle, one, two, three, back, five, six, seven, mouth.”