Dance Instructor

Chapter Three.

“Okay. Hey, how about we girls hang out someday? It’ll be fun!”

Lindsey and Jennifer nodded, smiling widely. I pouted at James.

“Do you really have to go?” I said in childish manner. He rolled his eyes and nodded. I smiled and hugged Lindsey.

“Bye,” she said. Next, I hugged Jennifer.

“You’re a really great dancer,” she complemented me. I smiled.

“Thanks,” I smiled and hugged Steve.

“Like… really really good. Are you sure your thirty-six?” he joked. I pulled away and nodded.

“Sadly,” I said sarcastically.

“Well, that means I’m old!” James exclaimed. I rolled my eyes.

“Yes, we’re both old. How did we get into this mess?” I asked him, jokingly as I hugged him. I grinned as we broke apart.

“See you later!” James said as they walked down the stairs. I saw a piece of paper on the floor and took it. “Any of you have a pen?” I asked my dancers quickly. One of them gave me a pen from their pocket.

“Do you always carry pens in your pocket?” I asked him. He shrugged. I quickly wrote down my phone number and ran out of the room.

“Why didn’t you tell us she was that good of a dancer?” I heard Lindsey’s voice ask.

“I didn’t know!” James defended himself.

“James, wait!” I called. They turned around.

“What, miss me already?” he joked.

“Yes,” I said seriously. I folded the piece of paper with my number on it. “Call me, will you? I don’t want to go through management again.” I placed my number in his hand and hugged him again.

“Will do,” he promised. He started to pull back and I kissed his cheek. I pulled away and smiled.

“Bye!” I said while walking away.

“Aww, Jimmy’s got a crush on the dancer girl!” I heard Steve tease James. I felt my cheeks flush as I rolled my eyes.

“Be quiet, goat boy!” I laughed as I opened the door to the studio and walked back upstairs. Before the door shut, I heard James laugh. I walked back onto the dance floor and went to the back to get my iPod. I came back with it and plugged it into the speakers.

“I’m supposed to choreograph a dance for the people who were just here. They’re in a band,” I explained to the dancers. I put the song on Capitol P and let the music play, letting my mind run over the music. I turned to one of the guys.

“Matt, can you replay the song every time I ask you to?” I asked politely. He nodded.

“Sure thing,” he walked over to my iPod.

“Restart it please,” I asked. I heard the song start over. “Can you pause it for a second?” I asked. I heard the music stop as I walked to the corner of the room. I hummed the song under my breath at a slower pace as I walked to the center left of the room, then back to the center. My eyebrows furrowed in concentration as I tried to picture the dance.

I strolled back to the corner of the room and walked to the center left of the room, back to the center. I lifted my left foot and placed it back on the ground, and did the same with the other foot. I smiled as I began to visualize the dance.

I was grinning all the way back to my apartment. I already started to get ideas for the dance. I was planning on dancing mostly to the beat, and maybe a couple lyrics. I giggled to myself, totally in bliss. A few people passing me looked at me strangely. I ignored them as I saw Jane Dullen. I smiled as I approached her.

“Hey Jane,” I greeted her.

“Hey, Cyndi,” she smiled.

“How’s Diamond?” I asked.

“Oh, she’s pregnant. And quite moody, for a cat,” she laughed. I laughed as well.

“Well, I’ve got to be going. I’ll see you soon?”
She nodded. “You can come by, anytime. We do live one floor apart,” she laughed. I smiled.

“Okay. Bye!” I waved to her as I departed for my apartment. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I fished it out and flipped it open. It was a text message, from James.

Hey, ;) it read. I smiled and started pressing buttons.

Well, that didn’t take very long. Did you give my # to the girls? I smiled as I pressed send.

Yep. Steve too. What you doing?

Going home. I’ll call you in a few once I get home and add you. Bye <3 I pressed send and put my phone in my pocket. I walked into the lobby and pressed the elevator button.

Soon, I was pulling my keys out of my pocket and unlocking the door. The apartment was strangely dark.

“Uh, hello?” I called out as I turned the light on. I heard a groan coming from my bedroom. I rolled my eyes and walked to my room, turning on the lights as I went.

“Alice, what are you doing in my apartment?” I asked the lump under my cover.

“Having a hangover,” she mumbled. “Why don’t you have one?”

I shrugged. “I only get hangovers when I’m sick.”

“Lucky-” the rest was drowned out by my laptop telling me it was dying. I sighed and plugged in the charger.

“Come on, girl, get out of my bed so I can tell you about my awesome day,” I whined as I poked the lump. It groaned and Alice appeared from beyond the blanket. She sat up and yawned.

“Spill, then. Not too loudly, ‘kay?” she murmured.

“Well, Mindless management called, and we talked over everything, I got to meet the band, see James again and they got to see me dance,” I said quickly. She looked at me dully.

“Give me details or I’m staying here for a week,” she threatened. I rolled my eyes and smiled.

“Well, he’s really sweet, and attractive, obviously, but for some reason, I always want to be around him,” I mumbled, looking down.

“Aww, Cyndi and James sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!” she cooed. I glared at her and resisted the urge to smile.

“I don’t like him like that!” I protested. She snickered.

“Sure. Cyndi and James, sitting in a car,” she teased. I gasped at her.

“You wouldn’t,” I threatened. My eyes narrowed. She got up and ran out of the room. I grabbed a pillow and followed her.

“Are they naked, yes they are!” she laughed. I threw the pillow at her, with all my might. It hit her in the face. We doubled over laughing, tears streaming down our faces.

“How’s your hangover?” I smirked. She groaned.

“It’s back, now that you’ve brought it up!” she groaned at me. This time, the pillow hit me.

“We sound like we’re in high school,” I said, laughing and sitting on the wooden floor. She grinned lazily at me and nodded.

“Coffee?” I offered her as I got back up on my feet. She nodded and followed me to the kitchen.

“So…” she began.

“No,” I cut her off. “I don’t like him like that,” I frowned. “I… think.”

“Wow,” she said, rolling her eyes. “We are in high school.”

“Figuratively,” I corrected her. She laughed, then groaned.

“So,” she put on her girly voice. “Are you, like, planning on asking him out, or, like, can I have him? ‘Cause, like, I’m really lonely,” she faked-whined to me. I chuckled.

“Shut up before I spill my coffee on you,” I threatened. She snorted as I grabbed the finished cup of coffee and held it over her head. Her eyes widened and she began protesting.

“Say your prayers,” I told her.

“No, Cyndi, don’t-” the phone cut her off. I grinned at her.

“Saved by the ring tone,” I said. I picked up my phone and flipped it open, pressing it to my ear.

“Hello?” I said into the phone.

“Hey,” James’ voice said. I grinned.

“‘Miss me already?’” I quoted.

“‘Yes,’” He said, quoted me as well. I laughed.

“What’s up?” I asked.

“I was bored, and you never called,” he whined. I rolled my eyes. “Anyway, I was wondering, are you busy tomorrow night?” he asked.

“Uh, hold please,” I told him. I looked at Alice. “Are we busy?” I asked her. She shook her head. “I’m free,” I told James.

“Cool. I was wondering, maybe you and some of your friends would like to join as at a restaurant,” he offered. I smiled.

“Sure, It’d be fun! I’ll bring my best friend. The female version,” I told him.

“Okay, cool. We‘ll pick you guys up, say around eight? Don’t forget to dress formal. Very formal. Oh, and where do you live?” he asked. I laughed and gave him my address.

“Bye,” I hung up the phone and grinned at Alice.

“You up for dinner and some games tomorrow?” I asked. “James and his band are coming,” I said. She smirked.

“I’ll be there.”