Dance Instructor

Chapter Four.

I spent hours trying to pick the right outfit. Childish, I know, but I couldn’t help it. Alice and I were getting ready at my place, and Mark was coming over soon. I tied the satin piece of blue cloth over my neck and smiled. I look around my room, looking for my hoop earrings.

“Alice, you ready?” I called out.

“Almost!” she called back. I spotted the earring on the dresser and slipped them in my ears. I walked to the full-length mirror and smiled. I looked good, the ice-blue color of the dress seamed to accent my wavy brown hair. I nodded to myself and walked towards the living room, watching Alice struggle to put on her boots. I raised my eyebrows and giggled.

“Maybe it would help if you pulled the zipper down,” I suggested. She stopped and glanced at the shoe and groaned.

“I didn’t know it actually goes down. I thought it was just there to look good,” she cried. I laughed as she pulled it off her foot and unzipped the boot. She put it back on, and did the same with the other. I grinned at her when she had both boots on her feet.

“Okay,” she said. “I’m ready now.”

I laughed. “Me too.”

I heard the buzzer for the lobby ring. I grinned and hopped over to it.

“Hello?” I said in a sing-song voice, pressing a button.

“Well, hello,” James’ voice was more than slightly sarcastic.

“We’ll be down in a few,” I assured him. I took my hand off of the button and ran across the room to get my little black purse. Alice laughed.

“Well, you seem to be excited,” she teased. I rolled my eyes.

“You would be too, if you were me,” I told her. She shrugged.

We walked out of the apartment, locking the door of course, into the elevator and onto the foyer of the lobby. Alice was wearing a beautiful red sequin dress, as I was wearing a tight-fitting ice-blue one. I grinned as I saw the band sitting in those comfy chairs by the elevator. Jennifer caught my eye and smiled, nudging James. He turned around in his seat and smiled at me. I bit my lip and smiled back shyly. They all stood up and we walked to them.

“Hello,” I said to them. “This is Alice,” I gestured to Alice. She smiled and waved. I looked at Jennifer.

“Wow,” I said. “You look amazing!” I told Jennifer. She smiled at me. Jennifer was wearing a pretty purple dress.

“So do you,” Jennifer smiled. I grinned back at her. Steve coughed and smirked.

“Oh, of course, don’t you two look handsome! So spiffy in your black suits,” I said, complementing both James and Steve. They grinned.

“Why, thank you,” James said. He gestured with both hands at the door. “Shall we?” he said in a British accent. I rolled my eyes and nodded. James walked to the door and opened it, waiting for us. Jennifer walked through, then Steve.

“They’re cute, I approve,” Alice whispered in my ear as we walked through the door. I giggled and glanced at James, who was smirking at me.

“Where’s Lindsey?” I asked James.

“She’s meeting us at the restaurant, with her husband. I’m sure you know who that is,” he smirked. I rolled my eyes.

“Gerard Way, right?”

“Exactly,” he smiled. I nodded. Steve walked over to a black car and opened the door. It wasn’t very fancy, but it didn’t matter. Steve got in the drivers seat, James got in the passengers seat, and us girls got squished in the back.

“Where are we going?” I asked in between Jennifer and Alice.

“The Acappella,” Steve responded. I nodded. Good thing I’m fluent in Italian. It took about fifteen minutes to arrive to the restaurant. We parked the car and entered the restaurant.

“Do we have a reservation?” I whispered to James. He nodded.

“Yes, under ‘Way’,” he whispered back. I raised my eyebrows.

“Okay, let me do the talking,” I said, my voice drifting to normal. Everyone looked at me.

“I’m fluent in Italian,” I shrugged. We walked into the restaurant and I walked right up to the podium with no hesitation.

“Dare il benvenuto all'Accapella. Welcome to the Accapella,” he said. I smiled at him.

“Grazie. Abbiamo una prenotazione. Sotto il nome di ‘Way’,” I told him with confidence. He smiled at me and led us to our table. I smirked back at James, who had his mouth slightly open. I followed him to a table with a female and a male laughing. Lindsey looked at us and nudged the male. She smiled at me and I smiled back. The waiter gestured for us to sit down. Lindsey and her husband stood up.

“Cyndi, this is my husband, Gerard,” she gestured to the male. He smiled at me and offered his hand for me to shake. I took it and looked at Alice.

“Lindsey, Gerard, this is my friend Alice,” I introduced her. She gave the couple a shy wave. I smiled at her and sat down, beside Gerard and Alice. I picked up my menu and read each item carefully.

“Uh, Cyndi?” Alice said from beside me. I looked at her. “What does it say?” she whispered to me. I laughed.

“Well,” I began. “There’s cold appetizers, hot appetizers, soups, pasta, rice, fish, a…year-old calf, chicken, salads, and coffee,” I finished, pointing out each item. “I’m having a Caesar salad,” I said, helping her. She nodded.

“Me too,” she told me. Jennifer nodded and agreed. I looked at James and Steve, smirking. They looked completely lost.

“You speak Italian?” Gerard asked me. I nodded, smiling. I looked at James.

“James, you like chicken, right?” I asked. He nodded. “Steve, you like salmon?” I asked. He nodded as well. I rolled my eyes.

“Problem solved,” I said as the waiter came by. He asked us what we would like to order.

“Mia moglie ed io gradirebbero il Bandiera Italia,” Gerard told him, gesturing to Lindsey and himself. The waiter nodded, taking it down. He then looked at me. I smiled at him.

“Noi tre ragazze apprezzeremmo l'insalata di Cesare,” I gestured to myself, Alice and Jennifer. “ed apprezzerebbe il Marte Pollo,” I gestured to James, “ed apprezzerebbe il Salmon Tartufo,” I kept on smiling at the waiter. He nodded, taking it down. He then asked us what we would like to drink. Gerard ordered the white wine for all of us. The waiter nodded and left. I know I can speak in English, it’s just more fun speaking Italian.

“So, Lindsey tells me you’re a dancer?” Gerard asked. I nodded.

“Yeah, that’s right,” I smiled at him. He nodded.

“I’m a singer. For a band,” he told me. I nodded. “My Chemical Romance. Have you heard of us?” he asked. I nodded and grinned.

“Please, if I listen to Mindless Self Indulgence, I obviously listen to you,” I joked. Everybody laughed as the waiter came with armfuls of food. Suddenly, everybody’s mouth became very busy.

“This was fun,” I told him sweetly. James nodded.

“It was,” he gave me a hug. “I’ll see you sometime. Bye Cyndi,” he smiled at me and I kissed him on the cheek. I hummed Capitol P under my breath as I waited for the elevator. I heard him chuckle before the door closed, signalling him gone. I smiled and rolled my eyes as I felt my phone vibrate. I read the text inside it and sighed, annoyed.

You totally like him!
-Alice


Now I really wish I had poured my cup of coffee on her head.