Dance Instructor

Chapter Six

I popped my chest up and down at the opposite time of my fist. I leaned to my right looking to my right, I leaned forward looking straight in front of me, I leaned to the left looking to the left.

I got back into my original position. I jumped slightly at the lyrics, drawing a ‘P’ with my hand. I moved my hips quickly and pointed in front of me.

Then, I placed my hands on my stomach, moving them down to my inner thighs while I slowly dropped down. I rose up and popped my right hip out to the beat, then my left.

I moved my hips quickly again and turned around, moving my hips again to the beat. I turned around and moved my hips quickly and turned around again, moving my hips.

I popped my hips again to a slightly faster beat, placed my hand on my right hip, brought it down and raised it up, popping it out. I did the same with the other hip.

“Wow, that’s really good,” I heard a voice from behind me. I grinned and spun around.

“Hey, James. What are you doing here?” I asked, walking over to the CD player and stopping the music.

“Steve wanted to ask out your friend, but he’s damn stubborn, so here I am,” he said, smiling, his arms wide. I laughed.

“Did you like what you saw?” I asked, knowing there was two evident meanings.

“Very much so.”

“Aw, thanks. Want Alice’s phone number or do you want me to call her?” I asked.

“Uh, call her. I think that will be…”

I nodded cutting him off. He smiled at me and walked over to a bench as I walked over to my bag to fish out my phone.

When I found it I flipped it open and dialled her number, praying it wouldn’t go to voicemail.

“Hello?” Alice answered.

“Hey. Listen-”

“Where are you?” she interrupted me.

“Dance studio.”

“Why are you still there? Don’t you think you need a break?” she scolded me. I sighed.

“I’ll take a break later. Besides, I’m working on their song,” I told her.

“Still. You shouldn’t be working this hard. You’ll wear out your body.”

“Who cares about my body being weary?” I asked her slightly sarcastically.

“I do, and James, obviously,” I could hear the smirk in her voice.

“What? I told you, I don’t…” I trailed off, not wanting James to hear me.

“Sure, sure. I see the way you two look at each other. Man, you guys crave each other like horny teenagers,” she snickered. I rolled my eyes.

“Stop talking about my, uh, ‘love life’ and let’s focus on yours. Steve wanted to ask you out.”

“Oh,” I could hear her blush. “Sure, go ahead.”

“Okay, will do. Listen, I’ve got to go, James is here.”

“Ask him out, will you?” she said impatiently.

I sighed. “No. We. Don’t. Like. Each. Other,” I said over pronouncing every word.

“But-”

“No. I’ve got to go, bye,” I hung up on her. I pressed my fingers to my temple and thought about the man sitting on the bench not far from me.

“Are you okay?” James asked.

“Fine,” I said as normally as I could. I tried to resist the urge to run around and kiss him. I groaned when I realized what I was thinking about.

“Uh, seriously, are you okay?” he asked again. I couldn’t help but giggle a little. I turned around.

“I’m fine,” I said reassuringly, rolling my eyes. He smirked.

“So, why were you talking about your love life? Is there a guy you happen to be horny over?” he asked, still smirking. I raised my eyebrows, smirking as well.

“Look who’s talking, Mr. I-still-have-the-hormones-of-a-teenager. Are you sure there’s someone who you’re not crushing on?” I teased.

He shrugged. “I like anything with a fine ass.”

I turned slightly to look at my ass in the mirror. “How’s my ass?” I asked, trying hard not to burst into fits of laughter.

His smirked became more pronounced. “No comment.”

“Aw, come on! You know you like my ass!”

“Do not!”

“Uh, am I interrupting something?” Mark’s voice cut through our silly fight. I rolled my eyes.

“ ‘Course not. Mark, this is James. James, this is a good friend of mine, Mark,” I introduced them. They mildly greeted each other, jealously a tad bit clear in each others eyes. I looked at the two strangely.

“Men never fail to amaze me,” I said out loud. They looked at me, confused.

“What?” they said in unison. I grinned and shook my head.

“Nothing.”

“So? How was your date?” I asked Alice as she came through the door. It was like she lived at my apartment, she hardly went home. She smiled at me, blushing.

“It wasn’t a real date,” she mumbled. I raised my eyebrows.

“You went to movies and lunch with a guy. Who likes you. Who you like. Who asked for your phone number, who asked you out, who you said yes to. Not a date, eh?” I asked sceptically. Her face was blank.

“Can you give me a map to that sentence, please?” she asked. I rolled my eyes.

“Spill, will you? I need gossip!” I said dramatically.

She rolled her eyes.

“Well, we went to see that new movie, the one with those people in Vegas. It was so funny,” she said. “After that, we grabbed some pizza and he walked me home,” she said quietly.

“You kissed, right?” I asked. She blushed a bright red. I grinned. “Aw, you too are so cute!” I squealed.

“Yeah, yeah,” she mumbled.

“Mumbler!” I accused. She stuck her tongue out at me. I smiled.

“You do anything with a guy today?” she asked.

“No,” I shrugged. “James came over at the studio while I was dancing to ask for your from for Steve. Mark came over as well. That’s about it.”

She sighed.

“What?” I asked.

“When will you go out with a guy? I know you’re lonely,” she told me. I started to protest but she stopped me.

“No. There are plenty of great guys out there, you just have to open your eyes.”

“If you want me to go out with James-” I began.

“No,” she cut me off, “it doesn’t have to be just about James. How about Mark? Or a guy from your dance class?” she asked.

I rolled my eyes. “I don’t need a man!”

“I know. You just want one,” she said slowly. I started to get a little pissed off.

“I don’t want one, nor do I need one. Why the hell does everyone want me to be with a guy?” I asked angrily. She looked at me shocked.

“Cyndi, I didn’t mean-”

“Just go,” I told her.

“But-”

“Go!” I shouted. She shook her head and walked out the door. I felt tears pouring down my face as I sank into the couch.