Dance Instructor

Chapter Seven.

I felt horrible because of what I did to Alice. It wasn’t her fault that I haven’t had a date in a month. Or two.

More like a year.

It’s not like I haven’t had offers, I just… I always found something wrong with a guy. Then a problem with him, which turned into a bigger problem. Ever since Kyle, I haven’t really been able to be in a functional relationship.

I sighed as I walked to the dance studio. It was three AM and I couldn’t sleep. I took the keys out of my pocket and unlocked the door. I locked it as soon as I got in, walking upstairs. I stretched and put my dancing clothes on. I stretched a bit one more time and put on Capitol P.

I took a deep breath and tried to go through my routine.

“Five, six, seven, eight,” I whispered as he went into the first verse. I tried my best to do what I envisioned, but I could never get it right. I walked over to the mirror, slumped, tears dancing down my cheeks. I was completely frustrated with myself, and also heavy with guilt.

I sat there, crying for who knows how long. Eventually, I wiped the tears away and hoisted myself up. I walked over to my bag, which I dug through to find my phone. I pressed the numbers I would never forget and prayed for her to answer.

“Hello?” her tired voice answered.

“…hey,” I hesitated.

“Listen-”

“No-

“But-

“I’m sorry!” we said in unison.

“What are you sorry for?” I asked, startled.

“W-ell you know, I was being mean and-

“No, I was just being selfish!” I pressed.

“No-”

“Yes-”

“Fine,” we said in unison again. We laughed awkwardly.

“Yeah,” she said.

“I am really sorry,” I said.

“Yeah. It’s okay.” Things got silent. “How’s the dance going?” she asked. I sighed.

“I can envision it and all, but when I try it out it… doesn’t really… work.”

“Oh. Go and get some coffee in your system, relax and try later,” she soothed me.

“Yeah, I should. Thanks, Hun. I’ll talk to you later. Bye.”

I snapped my phone shut and closed my eyes. I sighed and grabbed my bag, racing out of the studio, locking the door behind me. I slowed down half through the block. I took a deep breath and focused on my breathing. I felt very odd. I felt extremely happy and sad at the same time. Not to mention a tad confused.

I walked straight into the nearest Starbucks and ordered the most expensive delicious drink on the menu. I sat down at a table and looked out the window. The sun seemed to be rising. I checked my watch and gasped in surprise. It was six AM.

I blinked in realization at how long I tried to fix my dance. I took sipped my delicious coffee and felt myself relax, taking in the scenery.

I sighed, running my fingers through my hair, going through every detail I had thought of for the dance. For some reason my thoughts wander to James. Once I realized what I was thinking I smacked myself in the forehead.

“I don’t like him,” I whispered defiantly to myself, resting my head on my arms.

My thoughts wandered to James then to Kyle. I felt tears welling up again, re-living my experience. My face scrunched up as I felt my heart rip through my wounds. My tears scrambled swiftly down my face.

After crying for twenty minutes, I realized I couldn’t just sit there and cry. So I wiped my tears off my face, and with as much dignity as possible, I rose up from my seat and just about ran from the shop to my apartment.

I unlocked my door and walked slowly to the couch, trying to forget whatever had just happened. I sighed and jumped as my phone startled me. I found my phone quickly and answered it.

“Hello,” I said, trying not to sound too tearful.

“Hey,” Mark’s voice greeted me. “Are you okay, you sound like you just bawled.”

I gulped. “No, I’m fine. Just got up,” I lied.

“Oh. Finally, not up from three or four AM,” he joked.

I rolled my eyes. “No comment. So, what do you want?” I asked.

“Tsk, tsk, someone’s got a temper. Don’t kill me,” he chuckled. I growled. “Fine, fine. I just called to tell you that Katy called and asked for you to do a choreograph for her.”

“Which Katy?” I asked.

“Perry.”

“Oh. Cool, she’s really pretty. And she has a nice voice. Did she leave a phone number or something?” I asked.

“No, but she told me she would call back. What do you want me to say?” he asked.

“Say yes, I will, more than likely. Schedule a time for us to meet if it’s possible.”

“Sure.”

“Oh, and Mark.”

“Yes?” he asked.

“Thanks for playing the assistant for a few days. It’s really been less stressful around here,” I laughed slightly.

“No problem. I’ll see you later if you’re going to the studio.”

“Okay. I might, I’m not sure.”

“Okay. Bye,” he said.

“Bye,” I hung up.

I sighed and smiled slightly. Katy was cool, I was looking foreword to working with her.

“Thanks, Mark,” I hugged him. I had come to the studio to see Mark. I was feeling a lot better than before.

“No problem. Oh, and Katy said she wanted to meet at seven at the Starbucks near here.”

I checked my watch. It was six-thirty. I groaned. “Thanks. I’d better go. Thanks again Mark,” I yelled over my shoulder as I ran out the shop. I ran into the shop at seven ten. I smiled as I spotted Katy at one of the tables. I walked over and sat down.

“Hey, Katy. I’m Cyndi. Mark told me you called,” I said. She smiled at me.

“Awesome. I really wanted to work with you, I saw what you did with some of your other dances. You’re really good,” she laughed.

I laughed as well. “Well, thanks. You have an amazing voice,” I complimented her. She thanked me. “What song were you thinking of doing?” I asked her.

“Hot ‘n’ cold. It’s a really poppy song with great, fun lyrics. I guess it would be a change from I kissed a girl,” she laughed. I smiled and nodded.

“Cool. Well, if you tell me what you had in mind…” I trailed off hoping she would get the hint. She smiled at me.

“Actually, Mark told me that you are very creative with your mind so…” she hesitated, smirking. “I’m leaving it to you.”

I gasped. “You’re giving me blank canvas? Oh, that’s so cool, thank you. Do you have a deadline for me?” I asked.

“Well, I’d like it before I hit my tour, so I can learn part of it too. Maybe around… three weeks or so? Does that work for you?” she asked. I racked my brains, thinking of my mindless dance. What could I say?

“It’s perfect!” I told her, smiling. She grinned.

“Cool.”

“If you don’t mind me saying, you really want me to do a dance? I thought you didn’t really dance,” I teased. She smiled.

“I don’t, but I’d like to for once,” she laughed. I nodded.

“Cool, I’ll get right on it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm loving Katy Perry right now. XDD