Poison's Exile

A Taste of Sorrow

For the first time I see my love for what he truly is a liar, a traitor, nothing more than a mere man with the power to cause my brain to hazy. A power that turns out was not even truly his. But it was not him that held my attention but his comrade. A man who was silent as he watched me. He stood tall and pulled me up.

“Princess, are you hurt?” worry seeps from this stranger voice.

I have never spied this warrior before. He is he? What battalion does he fight for? I can see from his armor that he is high in rank but how can that be so? I knew all the high ranking warriors. Had I been so preoccupied with Huntington that I am no longer attentive to my people? I feel a surge of anger and guilt, I do not wish to let my people down like this.

“No." I shrug him off. ”What has happened?”

I ask, baffled by his appearance. He was not attractive yet I want to reach out and touch him. As if to see if he was truly real, of just a mere figment of my mind saving me from my own foolishness. I look away from him only to I realize that Huntington is wearing prison binds.

“It has been discovered, by Captain Lance, that he has been slowly poisoning you, Princess.” How ironic I think to myself. "That is why your mind may have not been clear lately. That may be why you mother was concerned with the amount that you were sleeping. The herbalist is making your a brew to drink so that it will clear your system by sunrise."

I look at him wide eyed. “Huntington, how could you have betrayed me in such a manner? Take him out of my sight.” I say, choking back tears. “Off with his head. No trial, no jury. My life was threatened here today. I want him dead by sunrise. Remove him as once.”

I walk off as the stranger leads me off, as if I might teeter and fall any minute.

“Let go of me. I can walk on my own thank you. You will be rewarded kind warrior. What is thy name?” I said looking into his kindly eyes.

He gave a slight bow, “Your highness my name is Cliff. My mother who is fascinated by the humans below said it is a place they hang their feet from. She thought it sounded as if it would be a good name for her boy. My father thought that it was foolish but could not say no to her. ”

“How intriguing.” I say and I truly mean it.

My people are not usually interested in those who dwell on the planets below. They are dull, and barbaric. Their ways of life is confusing and sense of loyalty is warped beyond all sense.

"Why does your mother fancy the humans so?" I feel myself becoming tired, I must speak to keep awake or he will have to carry me. I do not want to be carried, "please tell me."

"I am not sure. I think that to her there advances are beautiful." He shrugs and keeps leading me forward.

Despite how I try I drift into sleep and I feel him carry me home.