God Bless the Broken Road

Awkward Conversations

14 July, 2008

Hi Leigh Ann’s Diary, this is Kirby if you can’t tell; I sort of borrowed you while Leigh Ann and Joe are on their date. The reason I did is because I have a secrete that I’m bursting to tell someone and seeing as option one is currently busy, I figured you would do.

So do want to know what it is? Huh? Okay, I’ll tell you… Nick asked me to be his GIRLFRIEND!!!!!! I’m so happy I could sing or kiss Nick; in fact the second option sounds really appealing… anyways, so yeah it was so sweet the way he asked.

We had just gotten back to the beach house and were all on the porch listening to Kevin play around with his guitar; Nick and I were curled up in a chair together when he leaned up and asked me if I would like to take a walk. I agreed so we walked down to where the water lapped lazily on the sand before turning and walking along the water packed sand.

We walked a good ways down the beach, up until the point you could see the canons sticking out from the old fort that the area was so well know for. As Nick pulled me to a stop I remember thinking how beautiful the moonlight reflected off the water there, making the fort look as if it was carved from the sea.

He gently turned me to face him and took both of my hands in his, smiled and said, “Kirby, I really like you in fact that I-I might, well what I mean to say is… Will you be my girlfriend?”

To say I was shocked would be an understatement, so you want to know what I did; I did what any sensible girl in my situation would. I tackled him to the sand; I distinctly remember him chuckling something along the lines of, “I take that as a yes,” before he proceeded to kiss me senseless. It was simply amazing; hands down the best night of my life…


“He finally asked you out?” Leigh Ann asked from behind her so startling Kirby that she fell off the bed.

“Hey, when did you get back?” Kirby asked as she tried to detangle herself from the blanket she had been wrapped in.

Leigh Ann tried to hold in her laugh as reached down to help her friend, “We just got back, but you didn’t answer my question; did he?”

Kirby grinned as she sat back on the bed, “He did.”

“Well, don’t leave me in the dark her; how did he do it?” Leigh Ann asked as she plopped down onto the bed beside her.
Kirby smiled if possible even wider, “Leigh it was amazing, he took me down to the beach and we walked along the water to the point where you can see the old fort then he just asked. It was the absolute sweetest thing ever.”

Leigh Ann sighed, “Wow, who knew Nick could be romantic.”

“Speaking of romance, how did your date go?” Kirby asked while playfully elbowing her friend.

It was Leigh’s turn to smile, “It was the absolute best night of my life; he told me you helped set it up by the way, thanks for that.”

Kirby laughed, “No problem, I was actually surprised that he asked me and not his mom and Leigh Ann, I wish you could have seen him; he was so nervous, it was precious.”

Leigh Ann laughed as a knock sounded at the door.

“Girls, its Denise. Can I come in?” Mrs. Jonas asked as she stuck her head into the room.

“Sure,” The called as they sat up and made room for her on the bed.

As Mrs. Jonas sat between them she smiled at Leigh Ann, “So how did you enjoy dinner?”

Leigh Ann smiled, “Mrs. Jonas, it was amazing.”

Denise returned the smile, “I’m glad it worked out, Joseph was really worried about something going wrong.”

Leigh Ann blushed, “Everything was perfect.”

“Wonderful, so the reason I’m here is because Joseph and Nicholas came to Paul and I with a request and to be perfectly honest with you, it has us a little worried.” Denise added as she looked between Leigh Ann and Kirby.

“You see the boys asked if it was okay to switch up room assignments for a while and well we’ve agreed under a few conditions, this talk being the first.”

Leigh Ann and Kirby looked at each other with pink tinged cheeks.

Denise continued, “So I feel that both of you are old enough that I don’t need to explain what sex is but I want you to know that you can come to me for anything. I understand that hormones can get out of control and while I would hope that my boys wouldn’t break their vows, I understand that incidents happen and I don’t want you to hesitate in coming to me for anything and I do mean anything. Please don’t feel embarrassed about any questions, you just let me know; now do either of you have any questions?”

Upon seeing the girls shake their heads no she continued once more, “Great so Kirby you’re free to go, I just need to ask Leigh Ann a few more things.”

Kirby gave Leigh Ann one last look of pity before closing the door behind her.

As Kirby closed the door Denise turned to Leigh Ann once more, “So Leigh Ann, I know that you and Joseph have only been officially dating for a short time but I also know you have been together for longer so I feel I have to ask. Have you, well… what I mean to say is you haven’t had… well have you?” She trailed off, her cheeks turning a light pink.

Leigh Ann blushed if possible even more, “N-no Mrs. Jonas, we haven’t had... well we just haven’t.”

Denise nodded, “Do you mind me asking how…”

Leigh Ann cut in, “Mrs. Jonas, Joe and I have done nothing more than kiss, I promise. I don’t mean to sound rude but just because I don’t wear a ring doesn’t mean I don’t believe in staying pure until marriage; I take that vow just as seriously as your son.”

Denise nodded once more, “Would you hate me if I asked you to consider birth control?”

Leigh Ann smiled, “Not at all, in fact I think I think it’s a great idea. I mean I’m not saying Joe and I plan on doing… well, that any time soon, but you’re right incidents can happen and if it will ease you’re mind about the situation then I’ll gladly make an appointment tomorrow.”

Denise smiled, “I must seem like a horribly over protective mother right now.”

Leigh Ann laughed, “Not at all, you have every right to be worried about your son.”

“Just remember you can come to me about anything okay,” Denise added as she stood up.

“Yes mam,” Leigh Ann replied as she stood up.

“So was there anything else you wanted to talk about?” Denise asked as she stopped in front of the door.

“What were the other conditions?” Leigh Ann asked.

Denise laughed, “Oh, I forgot about that; well just dress appropriately for bed and keep the door unlocked at all times.”

Leigh Ann laughed, “I think we can handle that.”

“Right, so I’ll just go get Joseph.” She added as she walked out of the room.

Leigh Ann just shook her head as she headed to the bathroom to get ready for bed.

XXXX

Joe sighed to himself as he sat on the bed and adjusted his glasses. He had just had one of the most awkward conversations of his life, but he understood where his parents were coming from; they had a right to be worried.After all sleeping in the same room with your girlfriend is a big step and even if it was one he felt they were ready for and he and Leigh Ann had discussed the issue enough to know they held the same beliefs, she just didn’t wear a ring like he did.

Upon hearing the bathroom door open he looked up and smiled at his girlfriend, “Hey,” he stated quietly.

“Hey,” she replied shyly as she sat beside him.

Quietly she reached up and touched his glasses, “I like your glasses,” She stated.

Joe laughed as he wrapped his arm around her waist, “I’ll wear them more often then.”

She smiled as she laid her head on his shoulder, “So was the permanent sleepover your idea or Nick’s?” She asked.

Joe rested his cheek against her hair, “Both actually; Nick wanted to spend as much time with Kirby as possible and I had been thinking about asking dad about this for a while now; it doesn’t bother you does it?”

Leigh Ann laughed, “No, I’m really happy about it; it’s just, I had a very interesting conversation with your mother.”

Joe wrapped her hand in his, “I had the same conversation with dad.”

“She asked me to consider birth control,” Leigh Ann added.

Joe froze, “Did you tell her how you feel about the issue?”

Leigh Ann nodded her head, “Yeah, but Joe she’s worried and I’m inclined to agree with her.”

Joe squeezed her hand as he whispered, “Do you think we’ll break it?”

Leigh Ann squeeze his hand in return as she answered, “No, I think that we both feel strong enough about it that we won’t, but going on birth control will appease your mothers worries, and like she said accidents can happen.”

Joe sighed, “If you’re okay with it, then I’m okay with it.”

Leigh Ann nodded her head once more, “So, are you ready to...”

“If you are,” Joe answered as he stood up.

The each silently made their way to a side of the bed and pulled the covers down together. As Leigh Ann crawled in to the bed Joe quickly hit the lights, removed his glasses and grabbed his shirt as if to pull it off before stopping, “Do you mind?” He asked.

“Not at all,” Leigh Ann answered as she watched him take his shirt off and crawl into bed.

As Joe pulled the covers over them they both silently stared at the ceiling before Leigh Ann finally spoke up, “Joe what happens in September when the tour is over? It’s going to be really hard to hide our relationship.”

“Come here,” Joe whispered as he pulled her to him and wrapped his arms around her.

He placed a quick kiss on her temple before answering, “We’ll just continue the way we do now; we won’t be acknowledging it, but we won’t be hiding it either.”

“What if they bring up my past?” She whispered.

Joe wrapped his arms around her a little tighter, “Then we’ll address the issue and set the records strait.”

“Won’t you be ashamed?”

Joe kissed her temple once more, “I could never be ashamed of you Leigh Ann, that’s not why I keep our relationship private.”

“Then why?” She asked.

“Because everything in my life is constantly scrutinized by the media except my relationship with you; is it wrong of me to want to keep you to myself while I can?” He replied.

“I guess I can live with that,” she stated as she turned and snuggled into his chest.

They both laid in silence for a few moments before Joe broke it once more.

“Leigh Ann?” He whispered.

“Hmm?” She sleepily replied.
“Can I tell you a secret?” He asked

“Mmhm,” She mumbled.

“I love you.”

Leigh Ann smiled before replying, “Joe can I tell you a secret?”

“Sure,” He replied.

“I love you too.”

Joe didn’t think his smile could get any bigger as he laid there listening to her breathing even out. As he quietly thought things over he came to a quick conclusion.

It wasn’t a matter of if he would marry Leigh Ann; it was only a matter of when.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so so so sorry for taking forever to update but life has been crazy and this particular chapter was like pulling teeth...
So how did you feel about the sex talk or the I love you's ? You didn't think it was to soon did you?
How did you feel about Kirby's diary entry? She may get more of those in the future...
oh and i'll worn you now a time jump is coming in the next few chapters...
Okie dokie so I need some cheering up and reviews really seem to do the trick, so help a girl out will ya? lol Trust me they are much appreciated!!