God Bless the Broken Road

Starbucks

Leigh Ann scribbled in her notebook with a frustrated sigh.

7, June 2008
What is up with Joe?? For the past week he has been acting, well…weird. Every since our little hospital stint he has been trying to do everything for me. At first I thought it was really sweet, but now it’s just getting plain annoying. He keeps telling me and I quote, “If you need someone to talk to, I’m here for you.” and every time he says it he gives me this really weird look. What’s up with that? I mean I know there’s something that I eventually need to tell him as well as his brothers about, but he doesn’t know that. In fact only Mr. and Mrs. Jonas know and they would never tell the boys with out my consent. So if that’s the case then what is Joe so determined for me to talk about?.... Tomorrow is thankfully a Joe free day. The boys have three promotional events for their new album and a photo shoot tomorrow. That means Frankie and me get to spend the day together, which I’m really excited about. Frankie said he wanted to get the new Guitar Hero game before the tour started and Mrs. Jonas and I talked about it and she agreed to let me take him to the mall tomorrow to get the game as long as he kept a hat on. I didn’t see a problem so I agreed.

Still 7 June 2008
Okay so I was reading through what I just wrote and it really sounded like I’m angry with Joe, and I’m not. I mean out of all four Jonas boys he and I are the closest and I would like to think that during the few weeks I’ve known him that we‘ve become pretty good friends. I’m not mad, just a tad bit frustrated. I guess I just need to tell him how I feel.


Leigh flipped her notebook closed and tossed her pen on top of it. Stretching her arms over her head she sighed, it felt good to get some of that off her chest. Just as she was about to head down stairs to see what the boys were up to someone knocked on her partially open door causing it to swing open.

Leigh stepped out of the way of the swinging door and smiled up at Kevin who had been standing behind it, “Hey Kev, what’s up?”

“Nothing much, I was just coming to see what you were up to,” Kevin replied as he stuck his hands in his pockets and rocked back on his heels.

Leigh Ann let out a little laugh, “That’s funny because I was just headed down to see what you and the boys were up to.”

Kevin chuckled, “Well, Joe, Nick, and Frankie are battling it out on Guitar Hero and I need a Starbucks fix. So I was wondering if you wanted to come with me.”

Leigh smiled, this would be the first time she had ever been alone with Kevin, “Sure sounds great, let me just grab my purse.”

xxxxxxx

Once they made it to Starbucks Leigh Ann set off to find a table near the back and Kevin went to get their drinks. Once she secured a table Leigh Ann plopped down in the chair facing the crowd so she could warn Kevin if any fans spotted him. As she waited for Kevin to return she began to think over the conversation they had just had.

At first it had been a little awkward but once she asked Kevin about what she needed to expect once living on the bus, the time just seemed to fly. She just really hoped that the awkwardness from earlier didn’t return again.

Leigh Ann smiled when Kevin sat her drink in front of her, “Thanks Kev.”

“No problem,” He stated as he sat down and leaned back in his chair waiting for his drink to cool.

Kevin watched Leigh Ann for a minute before leaning up and asking, “So I’ve been wondering, how exactly did you come across this job? Dad never really explained how he found you.”

Leigh laughed a little, “To make a long story short my mom put me in piano lessons when I was six. I absolutely hated it and wanted to quit so we compromised. Instead of taking piano I decided to take guitar and voice. I fell in love with both and continued to do both throughout elementary, junior high and high school. When I was fifteen one of the bigger radio stations in our area hosted a talent competition at our school. I won and got the chance to be interviewed on their morning radio show. While there I noticed a flyer about an internship for the summer. I applied and got it. After the summer was over they hired me as an assistant. I worked there up until this past March. When I put in my notice my boss gave me the name of an agency that she insisted I call. I called up the agency and a month later I get a call about a band that needs an assistant. The rest is as they say history.”

Kevin sat there sipping his coffee processing what she told him, “So wait, you play guitar and sing?”

Leigh Ann laughed, “Out of everything I just told you, that’s what you focus on?” Kevin laughed as well.

Kevin sat his cup back on the table, “You didn’t answer my question.”

Leigh Ann stopped laughing and started to fidget with her coffee cup, “I used to. I actually haven’t picked up a guitar in a while though.”

Kevin, confused by Leigh’s sudden mood swing asked, “Why not? If you love it so much, why would you stop?”

“To be honest, I’m not really sure.” She answered as she risked a glance at him.

Kevin was now completely confused as he watched Leigh Ann stared down at her now empty coffee cup. He knew there was something she wasn’t telling him and he was almost willing to bet that whatever it was was the reason Joe had been acting so strange around her. He had hoped to ask her about that tonight but seeing the mood she was in now he decided to wait. Just as Kevin was about to ask her if she was ready to leave her phone started to ring.

Cinderelly, Cinderelly night and day is Cinderelly make the fire, fix the breakfast, do the dishes, and the mopping.

Kevin busted out laughing as a blushing Leigh Ann dug through her purse and flipped open her phone.

“Hello, Oh hey mom.”

Once Kevin gained control of his laughter he went to throw away their empty cups and to give her a little privacy. Once he got back to the table she was off the phone.

As he sat back down he couldn’t help himself, “Okay I have to ask. What is with the ring tone?”

Leigh Ann blushed, if possible, even deeper. “Oh God this is so embarrassing… Well you see when I was little I had this obsession with Cinderella. It was like literally the only thing I would watch and so my parents started calling me that and I guess it stuck because they still call me that to this day. It came on my phone so I set that as my moms ring tone.”

Kevin laughed, “Guess that makes since, so you ready to go?”

Leigh Ann nodded so they headed towards the front. Once they reached the door Kevin held it open for Leigh Ann and with a slight bow stated, “Cinderella your chariot awaits.”

Leigh Ann rolled her eyes and playfully pushed Kevin, “Kev you are such a dork.”

Just as she did this flashes erupted from everywhere, “Kevin where are your brother’s?”

“Kevin, who’s the girl?”

“Kevin is that your girlfriend?”

“Miss, is Kevin your prince charming?”

Kevin growled angrily as he ducked his head and hurried to his car. Leigh Ann followed as quickly as she could. Once they were both safely in the car he slammed the car in reverse and backed out.

Once they were a few blocks away he glanced at her, “Leigh, I’m sorry about that.”

“Kevin it’s no big deal, it wasn’t your fault.” She replied

Kevin grabbed his phone and began dialing numbers, as he stuck the phone to his ear he added. “I just really hate paparazzi.”

Leigh Ann spent the rest of the ride back in silence as Kevin told his dad what happened over the phone.

xxxxxxx

Once the got back to the Jonas’s house Kevin went strait to his dad’s office and Leigh Ann headed for her room. As she flopped down on her bed she couldn’t shake off what Kevin had asked earlier, if you love it so much, why would you stop?The more she thought about it the more she found herself inclined to agree with Kevin. Why did she stop playing? With all the emotions she’s had to deal with lately it would make more sense for her to turn to her music then to turn away from it. Quickly making a decision she stood up and went off in search of Kevin hoping he had finished speaking with his dad by now.

She found Kevin in his room sprawled across his bed texting someone. She knocked to get his attention.

Kevin sat up and smiled, “Hey Leigh Ann, What you need?” He asked as he motioned for her to come in.

Leigh Ann sat on the end of his bed, “So I’ve been thinking about something you said to me back at the coffee shop and I still don’t really know why I haven’t pick up a guitar lately, and I got to thinking about how much I really wanted to; but then I realized that I had left mine back in Mississippi. So basically I was wondering if maybe I could use yours sometime.”

Kevin smiled and reached down for the guitar he had propped against his bedside table. As he went to hand it to her he hesitated, “Sure but there’s a catch.” He grinned.

“Which is?” Leigh Ann asked.

“I get to hear you play something…. And I get to call you Cinderelly whenever I want.”

Leigh Ann just rolled her eyes and reached for the guitar, “Deal.”

As she got situated with the guitar she began to think about what she should play. When it came to her she smiled.

“Okay this is the song I won the contest with. I wrote it about my ex-boyfriend. It’s not that great so just keep in mind that I was fifteen when I wrote it.”

As she began to play the first few notes Joe, who had been passing by stopped in the doorway to listen.

(Leave the Pieces by: The Wreckers)

You're not sure that you love me
But you're not sure enough to let me go
Baby it ain't fair you know
To just keep me hangin' 'round

You say you don't wanna hurt me
Don't want to see my tears
So why are you still standing here
Just watching me drown

And it's alright, yeah I'll be fine
Don't worry 'bout this heart of mine
Just take your love and hit the road
There's nothing you can do or say
You're gonna break my heart anyway
So just leave the pieces when you go

You can drag out the heartache
Baby you can make it quick
Really get it over with
And just let me move on

Don't concern yourself
With this mess you've left for me
I can clean it up, you see
Just as long as you're gone

And it's alright, yeah I'll be fine
Don't worry 'bout this heart of mine
Just take your love and hit the road
There's nothing you can do or say
You're gonna break my heart anyway
So just leave the pieces when you go

You not making up your mind
Is killing me and wasting time
I need so much more than that
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

And it's alright, yeah I'll be fine
Don't worry 'bout this heart of mine
Just take your love and hit the road
There's nothing you can do or say
You're gonna break my heart anyway
So just leave the pieces when you go

Leave the pieces when you go
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah,
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Leave the pieces when you go


As Leigh finished the song she looked up at Kevin in anticipation, but was shocked when Joe spoke instead.

“Wow, Leigh Ann that was amazing. I mean I knew you had a good voice but, wow. Why didn’t you tell me you could play?” He asked as he motioned towards Kevin’s guitar.

Kevin joined Joe in his praises, “I agree with Joe, it was amazing. I can see why you won that contest. I can’t believe you didn’t think the song was any good.”

Leigh Ann stood up, “ Well umm, so um thanks for letting me use this and umm I think I’m just gonna go to my room now so umm thanks again.”
Leigh Ann stammered as she hurried out of Kevin’s room.

Once Joe heard Leigh Ann’s door shut he turned to his brother in confusion, “Contest?”
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: Okay well we did find out a few things in this chapter, but mostly it was a filler and set up for the next. Oh and the Cinderella story is a true story about me and yes that really is my mothers ring tone…. As always reviews are greatly appreciated!