Maddie and Emma

Maddie and Emma

-Maddie-
I walked down the sidewalk lost in thought. Everything that had happened today proved that my life was a living hell. I stopped right in front of a puddle and looked down into its reflective surface. In it was a girl staring back at me with black and green shoulder length hair, and eight piercing, three in each ear, a lip ring, and on in her eye-brow. She was dressed in all black and her thick eyeliner was starting to form ‘tear-drops’.
“What’s wrong with yourself Maddie? You don’t cry.” I said to my reflection. Then I saw it, brusies on my arm showing themselves off right where my T-shirt sleeve stopped. I untied my jacket from my waist and quickly pulled it on, and walked on.

-Emma-
I waked in my house, the door unlocked as usual to see my Mom sitting on the basement steps as smoke danced around her. I looked over to my dad who was sleeping on the couch with a bottle of beer in his lap. I walked upstairs guessing my sister wasn’t home, I passed her room on the way to time. Her door was wide open but I saw no Maddie. I never knew who was home less, me or her but we can’t stand the sight of each other. Just because she’s my twin sister doesn’t mean I have to like her. I looked into the mirror. My straight blonde hair was a mess because of my new boyfriend’s convertible. My short skirt was all wrinkled and just out of place, and my tank top had sunk down so low you could see the top of my bra, but this didn’t bother me, not one bit. I smiled as I picked up the phone and called my friend Clare.

-Maddie-
I walked into the tattoo parlor, a place where I was well known. My best friend Liz works here, but she’s 21, and I’m in high school. Liz smiled as I walked in.
“How’s it going? I haven’t seen you in a while Maddie.” Se said cheerfully from behind the counter.
“Yeah, I know.” After that there was some awkward silence, and I continued, “Can you give me a tattoo!?” Liz’s eyes were wide. I knew you couldn’t get a tattoo in this city unless you were 18, and I knew Liz could get fired for giving me one, but I thought maybe the pain would help take my mind off everything.
“You know I can’t do that.” Liz said placing her caring hand on my arm, right where the bruises were.
“Ow!” I cried as I jumped away form Liz as my other hand clutched my arm.
“How did you hurt yourself?” Liz said eyeing my jacket-covered arm.
“I was stressed out an I was walking fast and my arm hit a pole.” I lied hoping she wouldn’t question me further.
“Okay, well do you want another piercing?” Liz asked me.
“No, I think I’ll head home for dinner.” I said walking towards the door.
“Okay, remember, if you need someone to talk to I’m here!” she shouted as I walked out of the door and slowly walked home.

-Emma-
“…And now my skirts all messed up. I know! He’s such a pervert.” I said rambling on with Clare. I heard the front door slam, Maddie was home. I kept telling Clare about my day as my door flung open.
“I need to use the phone! Now!” Maddie said hissing the last word.
“To bad I’m using it!” I huffed sticking my nose in the air. Maddie turned around and I herd her mutter ‘damn slut.’
“OH GO CUT YOURSELF!” I yelled back as we both slammed our doors.

-Maddie-
“Oh go cut yourself.” Those words were lurking in my head as I slid to the floor. Why don’t I? I crawled over to the phone on my nightstand and carefully picked it up. I heard Emma’s voice on the other end. She hadn’t heard me pick up the phone, and she wasn’t anywhere near getting off on her own. Knowing how much it would piss Emma off, I hit flash, dialed a number I knew by heart, and hit flash again. Emma and her slutty friend remained quite as the phone rang, probably trying to figure out what happened. It stopped ringing when it was answered with a sleepy ‘hello’ from my friend Drew. He always sleeps until he has to wake up, which is normally for school or food.
“Hey Drew.” I said a grin spreading across my face picturing how my sister’s face looked right now, “I’m sorry Clare but your slutty friend will call you back later, why don’t you go fuck yourself while you wait. I heard two phones hang up as Drew snickered at my comment.
“Ha-ha! I loved the voice for that one you sounded like a happy telemarketer!” Drew continued to laugh. My door swung open as Emma walked in, fists clenched and eyes filled with flames. I could still hear drew laughing on the other line (wow he must have been really tried it wasn’t that funny.) as Emma slammed the phone on the hook.
“Why, what’s wrong?” I asked her in the sweetest voice I could make.
“You!” She said pointing a finger at me. “You make my life so miserable! Why did you do that? It was an important call!” I sat there wondering when she was going to turn purple as she continued to yell about how she was ‘better then me,’ and how she has a life and I don’t. Finally to make her shut up I said, “I don’t need you to make my life miserable!” and I shoved her out of my room and slammed the door.

-Emma-
She shoved me out, rude ass. I walked back to my room and got inside as the phone rang. I quickly answered so Maddie wouldn’t. It was for me and I sighed as it was my boy, and the next thing I knew was he asking me if I could be ready in an hour. Shit.
“Okay see you in an hour.” I said sweetly and hung up the phone. Oh god! An hour! That’s it? I started tearing my closet apart. What dress? What shoes? Should I wear a skirt? Clothes were flying everywhere. What about my hair?

-Maddie-
When I heard the phone rang I guessed it was for Emma, I never get calls. Knowing the kitchen would be empty I snuck down stairs to the front door flying open, it was my Dad, damn it!
“Out of my way bitch, I need to get some beer.” With his voice slurred and his clothes reeking of booze and smoke he shoved me aside.
“ow! Dad that was the arm you gave me a bruise on this morning!” Why does everyone keep touching that arm? He grabbed a few beers and headed out the door saying “Get in my way again and I’ll give ya more then bruises.” And the door slammed shut. That was it I wasn’t going to put up with any of this anymore, any of the yelling, the beer, or the abuse, I looked around and the steak knife holder seemed to flow. I held my palm over the sink.
“No! That’s too fast.” Said a voice and I turned my arm over and scarlet dripped into the sink. It hurt, I think, maybe…it’s all a blur to me, but the slashes on my arm grew. Then I flipped my arm back over, palm up. Time seemed suspended as the slash grew then came a voice.
"What would Liz and Drew say if they saw this?" I clutched my
wrist and slid to the floor and bawled.

-Emma-
I cheerfully walked down the steps. A half-hour left until my boy was coming and all that was left was to put on my make-up. While walking into the kitchen to get a snack I saw it. Blood seemed to have flowed over the sink and over to Maddie, and her arm was drenched in blood, she seemed to be crying black tears. I stared more in horror then shock then it hit me.
"Clean this up! My boyfriend is coming in thirty!" and I grabbed a bottle of water out of the fridge and headed back upstairs.
A half hour later the doorbell rang as I raced downstairs Maddie and I almost collided.
"Andy!" I cried and hugged him. The rest of the night seemed like a blur mostly because Andy had given me a ton of beer.

-Maddie-
Ah, my poster covered walls. All of the posters are different sizes and they're all dark, I love it. Hour passed as I did nothing just wasting away in time. Soon I heard the front door open and Emma and her personal pervert both walking upstairs. They were both shit-faced. I grabbed my set of house keys and left a note on the table that read-
"Mom, bunked at Liz's. Maddie"

-Emma-
I remember the drink, and I remember the drive home. Now all I see is eternal darkness...

-Maddie-
I came home the next day but my house didn't seem normal.
"Mom? You here?" I yelled, but there was no answer...then my dad walked out of the kitchen.
"You're finally back." he huffed, there was a beer bottle in his hand.
“I left a note on the table."
"Did you know your sister is dead?" his voice slurred, it bothered me. He liked Emma more, I never figured out why.
"Why should I care? Her boyfriend probably killed her."
"He did." That's when I knew...he was mad at me! He thought it was my fault that his 'little princess' died. As this thought hit me so did Dad's beer bottle. The rest is blood and darkness.

-Drew-
Drenched in sweat. I reached for my phone and called Maddie. The phone rang.
"Hello?" It was Emma.
"Hey can I talk to Maddie?"
"Fine" she wined.
"Hey wait! Before you get her...don't date a guy named Andy that drives a convertible."
"Uh...okay, well here's my sister." Emma was probably rolling her eyes on the last word.
"Hello?" this time it was Maddie.
"Hey Maddie, I had a freaky dream..."

MORAL: Just because your born into a crappy life does not mean you have to keep it that way!