Like a Shattered Mirror

The Lengths of Entirety

Garrett stared me down with his intense eyes and I could barely keep my vision on him. My eyes were tearing up and I could see his gaze faltering, not wanting to see my reaction.

"Gary...What did...What did I do wrong?" I choked out and he bit his lip.

"It's not you. Really, it's not," he insisted, looking at his feet.

"Then why? Five years we had no problems...and if we have one, we can talk it out!" I didn't want him to go. No! He couldn't leave me here alone!

"Amanda...I'm sorry. I know I'm being a total jackass, but I can't...I'm sorry," he mumbled and I fell to my knees, at his feet like I had been for five years, ready to do his bidding.

"Please!" I cried out. My heart gave in and I started sobbing uncontrollably. "Don't leave me!" There was no stopping the tears now.

"Please don't cry, Amanda. You will always have me entirely." He bent down and kissed my cheek before straightening up. "I am so sorry..." He looked at me once more and I must have been torturing him for he looked like he was about to cry too.

"Don't go!!!" I begged, but he shook his head and his hair flew everywhere before it settled. He walked out my bedroom door and I gave up entirely. "What did I do? God, why?! What did I do wrong?"

I fell to the floor entirely and cried for hours on end. I heard a knock on my door but ignored it. I was in no condition to talk: I had just had my heart broken by the one man I had trusted most.

"Amanda, what is wrong?" my dad yelled, barging in. "What did he do? I saw him run out the door in a hurry and I called after him, but he just left. What did Garrett do?"

That name...it brought an unbearable amount of pain and I cried even more.

"That sick bastard," my father mumbled. "Honey, you deserve better. One day he'll realize what an irreplaceable thing he just lost."

"Ok," I mumbled, not buying it.

"I'll leave you alone, sweetie." He closed the door and I sat up, clutching my heart.

"Garrett-James Black, I love you."

Just to hear it one more time...