Like a Shattered Mirror

Good Morning

After James left I immediately ran straight up to my room. I hadn't typed in my diary for quite some time. In fact, not since the power had gone out for no reason. I guess luck wasn't on my side that day. Or coincidence. But right now, I didn't care. I felt so happy and I knew I had never felt this happy before.

Or I think I haven't...

I ran to my computer and sat down, turning it on. This was going to be one long entry! I scrolled to the bottom and the list and began typing my fingers off pretty much. My fingers couldn't even keep up with my brain and I made a million mistakes, really. I did think about checking out what had made me so sad that I couldn't remember...

But that would only make me sad again and I wasn't in the mood. I hit save and turned off my computer before it could crash on me or something. That would be bad, obviously enough.

I pretty much sat in bed for the rest of the hour, not knowing what to do now. It was nine o' clock so it was a decent time to go to bed. Besides, I was going to get to see James tomorrow! Happiness is nice. I got to sleep around nine-thirty and I had a million dreams that night. I think anyone could guess what they were about...

I woke up the next morning at normal time and jumped out of bed. I had a reason to get up today and I couldn't wait to see him. He was way out of my league, but I wasn't complaining! I got all ready, kissed my dad on the cheek with a word of good bye, and sprung out the door. Nothing could ruin my mood today. Not even Garrett.

Garrett! Oh, crap. He was walking past my house, but stopped all of a sudden, looking at me. I felt like a deer in headlights. Crap, what was I supposed to do? Did he know?

"Amanda, are you still hanging with my...brother?" He added a snarl to the title he gave him, as though he didn't seem to agree with it.

"Yes, why?"

"I've told you. It's a big mistake. He's only trouble and nothing more."

"You maligning him isn't helping your case one bit, Gary. You know that?"

"Yeah, but...I just want to look out for you. I don't want anything bad to happen to you and with James...it's just bound to happen."

"Gary, you're not my mother." Ouch, that hurt me more! "If you'll stop talking about him, then I will join you in your walk to school. But if you won't, I'm going alone."

"Fine. I'll stop."

We walked in silence the rest of the way. But deep down I was really nervous. What would Garrett do when he found out...

I didn't want to think about it!