Like a Shattered Mirror

Jealousy Comes in all Kinds

As soon as class let out, Garrett was in my face. James took the time to excuse himself, thinking it best for him not to cause a war to break out. I thanked him in my head a thousand times. I had Garrett's company in the hall and I sure wish I didn't. That little crush I had earlier was long gone.

"What is going on?" he asked me, accusations in his eyes. He had stunning eyes, I would give him that much.

"What are you talking about?" I asked him nonchalantly, rolling my eyes. Yet, I knew exactly what he was talking about.

"This James thing. What are you trying to do?" he persisted. Okay then?

"What do you mean by that? You aren't making any sense at all, Gary." And he wasn't.

"Are you trying to make me jealous or something?"

"Why on Earth would I want to do that? We're friends. We always have been and we always will be. I wouldn't make someone jealous if we didn't care about each other's love lives." I had my own accusations bottled up in my throat. They were slipping out not so subtly.

"We don't. I don't. But it seems like you are." His gaze was no longer on me as his eyes slipped to the floor we were walking on.

"I'm not. I swear to you, I talk to James the same when you are around as to when you're not." Wow, I just lied to Garrett. So I added, "I act the same, too." Why not make it two big fat lies?

"So when you go to James' house today...You are going as a friend, right?" He made me sick!

"Garrett! I'm not doing anything like that with him! How can you think I'm a whore?" That really stung.

"No! I didn't mean...I'm sorry," he mumbled, hugging me. The feeling, the apology...It all seemed so familiar.

Was it...a memory? I knew the answer to that:

Nope!

"It's okay, Gare Bear. I forgive you." He didn't look any happier. I guess he didn't like the nickname. I could understand that. "Sorry, Garrett. Just seemed right," I laughed.

"No, it's fine. Just...weird," he said rapidly. My head was spinning!

"I'll see you later then."

"Yeah."

We went our separate ways and I found James again. And my words found my lips as I chatted away with him. Life couldn't get better than this. Let this last forever!