Like a Shattered Mirror

On Reflex

"So what'd my brother want? As if I don't already know," James managed to squeeze in as soon as I ran out of things to talk about. I sighed.

"He asked if I was trying to make him jealous. And he asked if I would be having sex with you today."

"Flattering, really," James commented dryly.

"That's what I thought, too. But you're not like that. I know it," I told him with a smile squeezing his hand.

"So he doesn't know about us, right?" He could read me like a book.

"He doesn't. But I don't know how he would take it."

"I bet he wouldn't like the idea at all. But so we have a secret relationship?" He didn't seem so thrilled with the idea.

"I...I don't know. I'm scared. I can't tell him. If he figures out, he can figure it out. I'm with you and if he doesn't like it, oh well."

"But you refuse to let him find out. That doesn't make it seem like you know what you're saying. What if I want him to know? To let him know what he's missing out on," James said softly.

"I don't know...I'd have to put up with him yelling at me and telling me I'm making a mistake to be even more than friends with you. He already told me it's trouble to be just acquaintances."

"Amanda...If you won't let him know, then why should we be anything?" he asked. Oh no, don't break up with me! I couldn't let him!

"James...I love you!" I said it without thinking. It seemed like instinct really. He looked at me with shock in his eyes.

"Moving a little bit faster now aren't we?" I pursed my lips shut and sat in silence. "I love you, too, Amy. But really, can't he find out?" His voice was seducing and he meant it to be. He kissed my cheek and I sighed.

"I'm not saying anything, but I won't deny it if he asks. I can't control what you say, however."

"Excellent." He kissed me quickly and I felt nauseated. What was Garrett going to do when he found this out?

I guess I'm a sucker for a pretty boy...