Like a Shattered Mirror

Interruptions

I'd forgiven James pretty much right after Garrett was out of view. What can I say? I just couldn't seem to stay mad at the guy. He had me wrapped around his finger and I wasn't going to be the one to complain about it. Oh no, Garrett was surely doing enough of that for me and him both.

You know those silences that aren't awkward, but pleasant even though they last forever? I was having one of those with James as we walked to his house. All we did the whole way was walk and hold hands. That was enough for me, though. I had really fallen for the guy.

But something told me that I used to feel that way before--about a different boy. My dad apparently hated him and my friends didn't like him either. I still had no idea who my last relationship had been with! It was driving me insane, but as I saw it, I had an even better guy in my life.

"James?" a feminine voice called out as soon as James opened the door and gestured for me to walk in first.

"Yeah. And I brought Amy, if that's alright." The way he said it made it sound like anything he wanted, he got.

A woman walked in with a dish in her hand as she dried it. "That's fine. So I'm thinking about ordering pizza. That okay with you?"

"Yeah." He turned back to me and his mother left the room. "So would you like a tour of my wonderful home?"

I giggled. "Sure. It's customary, remember?"

"Indeed, I do." He grabbed my hand and dragged me through his whole house. It was probably the same size as mine. Maybe a little bigger. He kicked open a last door on the second floor. "That is my room."

"How...clean?"

That was sarcasm. It was a mess!

"Yeah, I'll get around to fixing it up later. Kinda boring, you know?"

"Still...You really let it go!"

"No need to be mean, now, dear," he commented, leading me through the mess. He shut the door carefully and turned on the TV before falling back onto the bed and patting the spot beside him. "Room for one more."

I laughed before laying down beside. His bed was actually clean and made, unlike the rest of his room. He pulled me into his arms and I couldn't help but laugh. It was just so pleasant.

"Why are you laughing at me?" he demanded, springing up.

"Nothing. Sorry, I thought it was sweet, I swear!"

"You know, I can be mean too!" He pretty much pounced like a cat onto me and I laughed as I fell backwards.

"Oh, the horror!" I joked and he smirked before kissing me a few times.

"I love you," he told me, kissing my forehead quickly.

"I love you, too," I reminded him, kissing his nose. It was then that I became aware of how he was on top of me. It was a bit embarrassing, to tell you the truth.

"I mean, I really, really, love you. Do you see where I'm going with this?" he whispered and I grew bright red.

Before I could say anything my phone went off. I reached into my pocket.

"Hi, dad," I bid him.

"You make it safely?"

"Yeah. I'm fine."

"Okay, just wanted to make sure. Call when you want to come home."

"Okay. I gotta go. So love you, bye."

James looked like he was about to say something when there was a knock on the door. He got up and opened it.

"Pizza's here."

"Be down in a second."

He grabbed my hand and led me out. I'm almost positive he glanced back once more to the bed and swore under his breath.

But I preferred to ignore it.