Like a Shattered Mirror

Phone Call Conversations

"What do you want, Garrett?" I asked, picking up my phone as I sat on the edge of my bed. I had gotten back from James' house half an hour ago.

"Are you still...a virgin?" he asked awkwardly. I sighed inwardly.

"Yes, I am! And I can't say it makes me feel very good that you think otherwise!" I shrieked, upset. I considered him a friend and he wasn't being very nice to me.

"It's not you...James called me."

"And?" I asked, impatient.

"He said he had fun with you...in a certain place. Then he hung up. I guess he was just trying to rile me up or something."

"Why would that make you mad?" I asked, curious.

"Because I care about you and I don't want you to get hurt. That would kill me," he told me, voice cracking. Was he...crying?

"Gary, please don't cry," I begged, frantic. "Look, I'll see you tomorrow, okay? Just don't listen to James, alright?"

"Okay. I love you. Bye--" He froze.

There was an awkward silence as we sat there, wondering what the hell was going on.

"What?" I asked, heart stopping.

"I--sorry. Habit," he muttered and the line went dead as I stared at the phone before reluctantly hanging up.

"I love you, too, Garrett," I whispered out of curiosity. It sounded so...right. "Oh no, don't tell me I like James' brother."

I logged onto my computer, hoping to check my earlier journals, but the computer froze. Once again I was denied my ticket to remembering what I had forgotten--who I had forgotten. The phone rang again and it was James apologizing for Garrett taking his "I had fun with Amy in my room today" pervertedly. I didn't blame Gary, but I did forgive James. Like I always did.

I lied down in bed, trying to think about who it was that had made me so depressed. I came up with nothing, so I drifted to sleep.

I don't remember the dreams I had, but I know I had plenty.