Like a Shattered Mirror

Betrayed

The next few weeks were really pressing. James still wouldn't let up on the "I love you so much, so let's have sex!" thing. Though every time something--or someone--got in the way. It was my dad sometimes, but mostly it was Gary.

It almost seemed as though he was truly looking out for me: like my guardian angel. I liked James, but love? I loved him, but I wasn't going to do that with him. I thanked every star in the sky for Garrett being there for me, keeping me safe.

I'd been thinking about the two a whole lot. They were polar opposites. James was like the bad boy: attitude and all. Gary was like the sweet boy you could pour your heart out to and he wouldn't do you a wrong. It was like there was a wall between them--no, a mirror. Though the image was distorted, like long ago someone had taken a hammer to it, shattering the resemblance the two brothers had to each other.

Yeah, like a shattered mirror.

But what side did I want to be on? A while ago Garrett said he loved me and then "Oops, habit". Had be said it a lot to me before? But I didn't remember him. James was great and all, but not so much my type. Change was good, right?

I couldn't think anymore because James came into my room.

"Happy one month, babe," he smiled, pulling me up from my bed and kissing me wildly. I smiled against his lips, kissing him back just as quickly. "Love yoo."

"I love you, too," I smiled again, kissing his cheek.

"I mean," he paused. "I really love you."

I didn't know how to go about saying no. I--in truth--expected Garrett to call and interrupt, but the phone didn't ring. My heart started pounding in my chest as James stepped up to me, pushing me to the bed.

"I swear I do," he whispered, kissing my neck.

I just couldn't imagine my first time being with him. It didn't seem right. It seemed like I was supposed to do that with the boy I was in love with. Or used to be in love with anyway. The whole time James tried to seduce me, my thoughts remained on Garrett.

Why wasn't he calling! Was he really going to let this happen?

I knew my answer by the end of the night: Garrett had stopped caring...