Like a Shattered Mirror

Promises are Best Left Unkept

The next day when I went to school I was a bit worried: there wasn't a sign of Garrett. Had he changed schools just to get away from me? I didn't doubt it. But it hurt that he actually just left without a good bye; without an anything.

James—that bastard James—came up to me, smirking.

“How did you sleep last night?” he asked me. I knew full well what he meant. I sighed.

“It was good,” I lied. He bought it enough. “Where’s your brother?”

“I don’t know. I don’t care. Why do you care?” he asked quickly, a look in his eyes that I couldn’t place. Was it pride? Or mockery? Or maybe he just knew something I didn’t.

“Because he’s my friend.”

“You didn’t let that friend into your pants, though. I got that,” he gloated, scoffing at the thought of Garrett.

“No, but I do care about him. You sure you don’t know?” I asked, so worried.

“No! I don’t!” he yelled, glowering at me. “But I will tell you one thing.” He was grinning again, but I didn’t like the look of it.

“What’s that?” I asked, not really caring.

“I told him,” he whispered in my ear. I looked at him quizzically. “I told him all about it. I told him that I had managed to fuck you in little time at all. I told him I would.”

“Excuse me,” I growled, glaring. “Is this all just some game to you?”

“Yeah, it was,” he admitted. “A game that I won. He’s in the hospital by the way.”

“You said you didn’t know!” I yelled, starting to cry.

“I also said I loved you. But we all lie.”

I stared at him with wide eyes. He didn’t love me at all.

”You—You! All you wanted was sex?”

He nodded. “And I got it. So, uh, yeah. Have fun being a whore and have a good life.”

I watched him as he left. Oh my God I was a fucking retard! I took off in a mad sprint for the nearest hospital. I had to find Garrett and tell him how I really felt. I had thought of him the whole time, not James! I...

I love him.

I hardly had time to stop to ask what room he was in, but I managed to make myself calm enough to ask. But when I walked in I saw him staring at the ceiling, bloody and bruised.

“Oh my God! Gary, what happened?” I cried, running to his side and grabbing his hand in mine. I kissed it softly without even thinking. It just came as a natural reaction to me.

“Amy?” he asked in a feeble voice. “Tell me he lied. Tell me you didn’t really...”

I looked away.

“Oh God, I’m so sorry! I should have protected you! I should’ve been there!”

“It wasn’t your fault!” I told him, crying. It looked like it pained him to even breathe! I inhaled deeply. “Garrett James Black, I love you.”

And something snapped. Garrett’s eyes darted to me, startled.

“Oh my God, it’s you!” I cried out, sobbing. “Why, Gary, why did you leave me?!” I demanded, wiping my eyes.

“I have a good reason, Amy. I swear,” he promised softly.

”I’m waiting.”