Like a Shattered Mirror

Don't Leave Me

"Amy, I loved you, I really did. And I promise I still do. But we can't be together."

"Why not?" I cried, squeezing his hand so tightly.

"Because you've got your whole life ahead of you, and I can't say I have so much of that. Look, I'm going to die soon, and I know it. I'm sorry about everything I've put you through, but I couldn't let this keep going on or I'd only hurt myself--and more importantly, you--more. It's not James' fault for beating me to a bloody pulp, no, so don't blame him. I've got leukemia, Amanda. I was told I don't have much time left at all. Plus, as of now, I have internal bleeding, too. I'm just glad I got to clear this up before I go."

"Garrett," I whispered, tears brimming on my eyelids. I wiped them away, shaking my head. "Why didn't you tell me? I can't do this without you!"

"Stop that!" he yelled, immediately cringing in pain afterward. "You'll be fine, ok? So don't talk like that. You'll find someone way better than I could ever be in a million years. You can do way better than me."

I glared at him.

"Well, that's too bad because all I want to be is Mrs. Garrett Black and that won't ever change. I just want you to know that. I'll always love you."

"I know. I know that too well. And I'll always love you," he promised, voice barely audible. His voice was scratchy and I could see the tears in his eyes, too.

"Please don't leave me," I begged, leaning in to kiss him. He gave me that.

"I wish I could do that for you, but I just can't. You'll always have my heart, okay?"

"Don't leave me, Gary. I love you!" I could see him fighting the unconsciousness that was tugging at him. I knew that if he closed his eyes now, he wouldn't ever be opening them again.

"I love you, too. I'll wait for you, Amy. I'll see you in heaven, I promise. No girl could ever mean a fraction of what you mean to me."

And as his eyes started to close, I screamed like a banshee: anything to keep him with me!

And yet, even with my ears bleeding and my loud screams and cries, I still heard the monotonous beep over everything. And as soon as I heard the sound of his heartbeat stopping, I collapsed beside him, falling to the floor.

I had never felt so alone...